Valve Cover Gasket Replacement 1981 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement 1981 GS1000

OK Guys....My Valve Cover gasket is leaking ( not too bad but.....leaking none the less ) is there enough clearance to loosen the bolts and remove the cover without having to take the whole engine out ??.... PLEASE SOMEONE SAY YES !!!... I haven't ever done this but feel confident that it is something I can do..... just wondering what i am getting into...thanks all.. Robb

If it's like my 700, you'll have to take the coils off the frame, then there's just enough clearance to get the cover off. I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the engine out.

Comment

It's designed to be removed without removing the engine. If not, valve adjustments would be even more of a pain in the ass.
      Might as well do that job while you have the cover off.

Comment

Whew....Glad to hear that !!!...thanks Guys... Robb

Comment

Depending on your bike engine/ model it may sometimes be necessary to remove the breather on top of the valve cover for added clearence. MAKE sure all of the old gasket is removed or the cover will break when reinstalled and tightened The 1/2 moon caps on the end should be reinstalled with a VERY small dab of silicon sealer

Comment

I have a 78 GS1000, so same deal.

You will probably have to remove the horns. The coils should be ok. The breather hose from the cover has to be removed. Other than that, the cover will come out. Be careful in taking it out as the clearance over the cam chain is tight You need to make sure the gasket or gasket surface is not damaged.

Just take you time, no real problems doing the job. And yes, seal those half moon seals..I forgot last time did't I...annoying leak isn't there....

Comment

Working...
            X