Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any risk in this project....

ok...

so when i try to switch to reserve on my bike (82 Gs650G) its so stiff that it will only turn if i use some pliers.....

i've been planning to strip the petcock right name??) down and clean it up tmrw night...

however i have a wedding up north this weekend that is screaming weekend bike ride..

so...if i start into the petcock thursday is there a chance i could need a part or trash a o-ring (or whatever) that could put the bike of the road and leave me in the cage on friday....

whats your opinion...i should say that i'm not an expert by any means but i can usually get through most reasnably simple projects...

or should i pack pliers

Comment

It should be just a matter of taking it apart and cleaning. BUT, Murphy loves old Suzukies and I would wait until next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
        It should be just a matter of taking it apart and cleaning. BUT, Murphy loves old Suzukies and I would wait until next week.

That about covers it. Never, ever, forget Murphy's Law.

To ease your concern, try a tiny shot of WD40 on the handle of the petcock. Other than that, leave it until after the wedding.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Just turn it to reserve while you're at home (with pliers in hand), and leave it there until you return.

You'll get the full range from your fuel tank, but (of course) you won't have the luxury of a "reserve tank".

I just cleaned my petcock last week, and it took all of about 45 minutes counting draining and removing the fuel tank. Just watch the gasket that mates the petcock to the tank for paint flaking (mine peeled little chunks of paint off of the tank - I cleaned it carefully with a razor and greased it well before putting it back on), keep an eye on the two springs (one behind the diaphragm and one under the adjuster lever). After that, just clean the screen well, and grease the o-ring on the adjuster lever before you put it all together - that's where mine was dragging, causing the lever to feel stiff.

But I agree - save it for after the trip....

-Q!

Comment

My 83 GS750E had the same problem. I agree with the other guys. I would definitely wait until after the wedding to mess with it.

Comment

Working...
            X