Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upshifting problems on GSX600F.

Hi,
    Before going to the shop and getting stung, does anyone have any advice on what could cause my poor bikes issues?? I recently bought the 2001 GSX600F and for the first 200 miles there were no problems (after adjusting the clutch anyway. As the previous owner had moved the biting point in to the bars to make it easier to pull, therefore the clutch never fully released and I couldn't hit neutral whilst stopped...).

Now 200 miles later, whilst driving on the freeway, it had problems upshifting between 3rd and 4th at high revs, however once the revs dropped it shifted fine. The problem is that it jams completely, will not shift at all and feels like the gear lever is jammed - It also sounds a little more clunky/rough during downshifts since this started. I have now experimented, although not too much as I am worried about the possibility of causing any addition damage, and found that:
    A) Clutchless upshifting works better than using the clutch.
    B) If I keep the revs low (i.e. drive under 5,000rpm) it shifts up more easily.
    C) If I do go above 5,000rpm, then pull in the clutch and wait a second or two before attempting to shift up it works fine.

The problem was initially 3rd to 4th, however it now happens (frequently) between all gears except 1st and 2nd. Could it be the simply the oil?? The previous owner said he changed the fluids before the sale, maybe he put cheaper lubricant?? If not any other things to look at??

I would love some advice before the dealership tells me that I need a new gearbox and clutch (or whatever they invent to get my bucks), which I really don't have the finace for after just purchasing the bike a couple of weeks ago for cash.....

Thanks for any help offered

Peter

If the previous owner had the clutch that badly out of adjustment that it never properly released, it's possible the clutch plates are well and truly cooked. I'd check the easy things first though, like the cable (has it got a cable clutch?) is routed correctly, well oiled, not frayed, etc. and that the adjustment at both ends is correct. Check any adjustment on the gear change linkage too.

If none of this improves things, you may have to take off the side cover and examine the clutch itself for worn or warped plates or get your friendly neighbourhood mechanic to do it for you.

Comment

Thanks very much...

Checked the adjustment and things are running much better. It still sounds a little clunky, but I think that changing to a synthetic oil will help to calm that down a little and maybe smooth out things in general.

Comment

I have also taken the bike to a dealer today and they say that the clutch is about 70% used, I guess that a new one wouldn't hurt soon - Any advice??

As an additional (I should post a new question, but...), with the Yosh slip on, would it be a resonable idea to add a stage 1 jet kit to the bike?? What sort of gains could I expect (real life gains, not dyno chart stats!!)

Thanks again

Peter

Comment

Yes on the jet kit with the pipe.
          Aside from peak power, you will get a smoother power curve, and better throttle response.
          Makes the bike more ridable.

As far as the clutch, it sounds like a misadjusted clutch cooked the plates and may have warped them... causing them to not totally release when shifting.

Jim

Comment

Also changing the oil frequently will help keep your bike shifting well. Synthetic is not really needed, and I will not discuss whether it is better or not here.... Dead dinosaur oil works fine every 1000-1500 miles. It's whats needed to keep my bike happy. I also do a filter every other oil change. I personally change oil every 1000 miles, however your bike is air/oil cooled and runs a little cooler than mine. It also has a larger volume of oil if I'm not mistaken, so 1500 miles between changes would be fine.

Comment

Working...
            X