signal generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signal generator

bike is an 82' gs850gl. my clymer manual says the signal generator resistance should be between 290-360 ohms. mine just read 410 ohms but the bike just ran great for my 1/2 hour commute. i have another post titled "engine misses at low rpm" which explains an intermittent engine stumbling problem. could the 410 ohms be my problem? any aftermarket recommendations, as suzuki wants $185 for a new one. since it runs so good for the moment, should i worry about it.

Not sure how much difference this makes, but which end of the wire did you take the measurement? There might be some corrosion in the wires, if you measured at the plug that goes to the ignitor. Try at the generator itself (under the right side 'points' cover) and see what you get. You might be able to replace the wiring.

Comment

signal generator

i measured at the end of the wire coming from the signal generator. i unplugged the connector under the left side cover & measured there. i didn't measure the ignitor at all. that's a good point though. i'll go back out now and check right at the generator.(p.s: transistorized ignition).

Comment

signal generator

i measured at the sig-generator itself and got 355 ohms(good). so i then measured again at the end of the sig-generators wire and got 355 ohms(good). this means the wire is good, but now that the bike has cooled off the reading is where it should be. it was 410 ohms when the bike was HOT. apparently the reading needs to be taken when the bike is cool or cold although the manual(clymer) never says so. is this the case?

Comment

Check the way the wires are routed from the generator to the ignitor. It should be wrapped in a sort of a blanket too. If it's too close to the exhaust, or touching the engine, it might be heating up to much. Also check your grounds.

Comment

signal generator

the blanket is in place and i just found another post who has the same readings depending on if the bike is cold or hot. readings must have to be taken cold. i have to step out for a little while but will respond to posts later. thanks

Comment

Working...
            X