8 or 16 valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 or 16 valve?

I have a 82 GS 1100L and was wondering if it is the 16 or 8 valve. I need to know because I want to order a jet kit from K and N and need to make sure I get the right kit.

the 16 V cam end covers are rectangular, the 8 V are round

Comment

8 valve

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I can order my jet kit. K and N has a heck of a sale on them right now seeing as they are not selling them any more and have to get rid of the stock.

Comment

Now this brings up an interesting question...I know they made a 16 valve GS1100L in 1980. It appears that they also built them in 82 and 83 but in both the 16 valve and the 8 valve configurations...can anyone confirm this?

Hap

Comment

from my understanding...all bikes went TSCC (16 valve) in 1980? is this wrong?

Comment

Not mine (I don't any shaftie got 16 valves).

Comment

I think that the shafties stayed with the 8 valve heads, but the chain drive models went to 16 valves. If his model is an 82 GS1100GL (a shaftie), he has an 8 valve head. If he has a chain drive GS1100L, he has 16 valves.

Comment

I agree with Mastiff

Comment

The shaft 1100s were 2 valve, except for the GSXR based one which was the last of the line.

Comment

that's interesting. the 16 valve heads goal was to give the engines more power and efficiency, but from what i read they did not do much in terms of performance.

i see maybe a 1000 or 1100 benefiting from 4 valves.

guess that's why those shafties are slow. :P

Comment

Didn't the TSCC thing come in at 83? A few years after the original 16 valve engines.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                          Didn't the TSCC thing come in at 83? A few years after the original 16 valve engines.
                          No, 1980 was the first year for both 16 valve and TSCC.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Rockford
                            Thanks guys. Now I can order my jet kit. K and N has a heck of a sale on them right now seeing as they are not selling them any more and have to get rid of the stock.
                            I tried ordering a stage 1&3 kit for my 82 1100E (16V) from K&N two weeks ago and was told that they were out of stock indefinitely. Hope that your's hasn't run out yet. I wound up getting it from "Star Cycle" (www.starcycle.com) for $70 which is still cheaper than Dyno.

BTW, the people at starcycle seem to run a decent operation. On my first order the salesman actually called me back to tell me that what I had ordered had been shipped. A first for me.

Jeff

Comment

All GS shafties have 8-valve heads. No exceptions.

Suzuki finally wised up in 1989 or 90 when they came up with the GSX1100G, a shaftie with a 16-valve GSXR modified engine. Kawasaki beat Suzuki to the punch with the long-lived Concours, a Ninja-based engine with a shaft.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X