gs1100e - jetting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. I have an 82 gs1100e with Wiseco 1134 pistons, and a Vance and Hines pipe. I have the factory shop manual, which shows the stock main jets as 107.5. My question is - does anyone have a similar setup, and/or a ballpark idea of what jet size I should use as a starting point? I just checked and I have 135`s now. The bike runs like *$*&*% after it gets off the idle circuit, it blubbers bad. I can keep the throttle below the point where the main jets kick in and the revs are there, so I know it`s not an electrical problem. I have found lots of examples of less than wonderful , and not so bright past repair work on this bike, so I wouldn`t be suprised if the jet sizes are screwed up.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE A MAIN JET PROBLEM 8O --PLEASE GIVE US MORE DETAILS ON THE RPM RANGE THAT THE BLUBBERING STARTS AT AND DIOS IT EVER GO AWAY IF YOU RUN THE BIKE AT FULL THROTTLE--ALSO WHAT COLOR ARE ((ALL)) OF YOUR SPARK PLUGS

Comment

Do you have stock carborators? If you do I would sugest a 117 to 120 main jet. Call V&H tech support. They will be very helpful with exactly what to do with your jetting. They got mine spot on the first time, until I move to sea level and my bike went a little lean. V&H will get you within +- 1 jet size. I would sugest you by three sets of jets. The size V&H tells you and 1 size on either side of it.

Jason

Comment

I was asking my local bike shop about this on Monday, and they told me about calling V & H ,which I did. They were very helpful and gave me a jet size, air screw settings and needle clip position. I am going to start out with 120`s, and go from there. I probably should have clarified things better in my first post, as I have been working on motors p/t since the 70`s, and have already narrowed the problem down to the jetting. At first I suspected an ignition problem, then I found I could get the bike to rev up as long as I didn`t grab too big a handfull. I can`t test the new jets out till the weekend, but I`ll post what I find out then.

Thanks for your help.

Jack

Comment

Gs1100e - jetting question

Hi guys - I just tried the 120 jet`s, and they are a world better than the 135`s.
          Now I can work on fine tuning this beast so I can ride it more, work on it less like you`re supposed to in good riding weather. I got this bike about a year ago, the motor was wasted. But I had wishful thinking, hoping that this motor wasn`t going to need a lot. Duh, on my part. 1 yr later - new pistons, overbores, new head, new cams, new clutch basket, new countershaft, new oil pump, and several new gears. Now it finally runs. I know I could have bought a running bike for less, but I liked this one for some reason. Now that I have ridden it I am glad I did all the work. And I know it will run for a good while now.
          Later,

Jack

Comment

Working...
          X