Compression test with plugged carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression test with plugged carbs?

I haven't cleaned my carbs yet.... will that screw up the compression test results?

you need to hold the throttle all the way open when testing but the grunge shouldn't affect that

Comment

When I switch the gas tank to PRI, I get gas spilling out... it looks like it's backing up out of the carbs...

Comment

Sounds like your floats are not closing,it shouldn't be running out like that. Looks like an overhaul is on your to do list.

Comment

If you have CVs you'll have to physically get the slides out of the way in addition to opening the throttle. Besides stuck float needles you may have dried out o-rings on the float needle valves.

Comment

I think I'm going to rebuild/clean the carbs first then. Otherwise It sound like the test won't work.

Comment

You're going to get the same compression readings regardless of whether the carbs are clean or not. You just have to have a large enough throttle opening to let the cylinders breath.

Comment

If you're going to clean the carbs anyway, just do the compression test with the Carbs off the bike. Then you don't have to worry about the throttle opening. I don't think it would cause any problems.

Comment

Can I do it with the tank off too?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

When you do your compression test if the numbers aren't up to spec squirt a little oil down each cylinder through the plug hole. If compression goes up then you have worn rings. If it doesn't go up then a valve job is in order. As Luke pointed out, if you are going to pull the carbs for cleaning anyway that's a good time to check compression.

Comment

Working...
                      X