Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio and tach cable

Hi,

I am getting ready to do some work on my brand new 1981 gs850g. (my first bike) . Being experienced with car work, I know it sometimes saves a lot of time and nervs to ask and research, before working, so here it goes.

radio: I have a "windjammer" flare on front, and on top of it sits "vetter" radio unit. There is no obvious way to take it off easily, so before I take flare apart, to aproach it, does anyone know what holds it attached? Shoud I remove speakers to see if its connected on inside, I can't seem to find anything else (there are 2 screws on top attaching it to the windsild, but those are not holding it) How much force should I use.

tech cable: tach is not working so I was going to take cable off first. Just screw on the bottom, and twist on the top. right? any tricks I should know before I begin.

Thanks for answers
    toolman

tach cable

I don't know about your radio/fairing problem but the tach cable is just that, unscrew the tach end and turn it over to check for movement. The engine end is a screw on also. It screws onto an adapter that is o-ringed into the head, held in place with a set screw. There is one o-ring and a rubber inside where the cable meets the adapter. About $7.00 for both of these that leak on every bike I've ever owned. Bob

Comment

I don't know about the fairing either, but you might remove the covers on each side, put your hand in and run your fingers along the upper part to check for bolts.

On your tach problem, once you remove the cable ends, and find the cable turns nicely, check the tiny fitting at the engine end of the cable. It can come loose, leaving everything in good order, but if it is loose, it allows the cable to spin inside the fitting, and the fitting is what drives your tach.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thank

thank you both for replaying. I'll give it a shot today, and let you know what happened.

toolman

Comment

thanks

it was a breze with the cable, radio still bugs me...

thanks for your input

toolman

Comment

Take the speakers out and you will find mounting bolts

Comment

Just curious :? Are you planning to remove the radio and leave it off? Or are you looking to replace the radio unit? Mine has a lot of static on the volume knob when I turn it up or down, I'd like to replace it but I don't know if a "car" CD player/ radio can stand the rigors of a M/C and the weather? Any ideas?

Comment

A good car unit should take the vibration. Check at a marine supply store for a cover unit. The marine units keep out the weather (my bass boat unit is still good after many downpours).

Comment

Hey Chief, you mention marine units. Is that complete radio units or do they sell just a weather cover to fit over one?

Deck ape 4 ever- AO145 Hassayampa early 70s

Comment

They sell them both ways, but the whole units get expensive. The weather covers will keep out a pretty heavy rain.

Comment

Originally posted by catfishjoe123
                      Just curious :? Are you planning to remove the radio and leave it off? Or are you looking to replace the radio unit? Mine has a lot of static on the volume knob when I turn it up or down, I'd like to replace it but I don't know if a "car" CD player/ radio can stand the rigors of a M/C and the weather? Any ideas?
                      get some oil free tuner cleaner and spray into the shaft of the volume control. if its a older radio that uses the pot on the end this will clean the wipers and pad. that will take care of the static.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Grem. I think I'll try it 'cause the radio plays well, just that darn static when I turn it. Does RadioShack carry this stuff?

Comment

good luck

Radio Shack may carry tuner cleaner, but I wouldn't count on it. Most of the stores I have been into lately carry nothing but cell phones, clock radios, and a few electronic toys. If there is a good electronic supply shop in town, check with them.

Comment

We have a can of Radio Shack tuner cleaner at work that is old enough to not have a UPC symbol on it. I keep the can around for nostalgia sake.

Regarding radios -- can these to be listened to while riding? Is it possible to hear over the noise of the wind, road, and engine?

Just curious. I have the same fairing with radio. The bike is not road-ready yet and I've wondered about the practicality of a radio on a motorcycle. (And a lighter for that matter.)

Comment

Oh yeah, you can hear it, so can the car you are passing if you're not careful. If I were you, I wouldn't pitch the radio until I rode with it awhile. If you decide you don't like it, I'm sure someone would like to have it.

Hope you get that 850 going soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X