gs550 needs power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 needs power

Is there anything I can do to get a few more ponies out of a 82 gs550e? Can I use 750 or 650 parts? I am looking for new pistons, cams, upgraded clutch, anything to make it have more go.

Yeah, drop a small block Chev in it.

Comment

i'm sure there can be work done to a 750 head and it might go on your bike...that'd be efficient.

start off with the simple mods. get some pod air filters and a good 4-1 exhaust system. raise the needle on the carb and up the main jet probably.

you'll enjoy the sound and it'll make a few extra HP. 8)

~Adam

Comment

other then a jet kit, pods, coils, and 4 into exhaust there really isn't much out there, you could talk to this guy for help
        I made a 650 cc kit for this GS550 with CB 750 Honda sleeves, 650 kaw pistons and a sectioned GS750 head gasket. Smaller motors have a higher pitched exhaust so I built a special hand switched exhaust baffle lever assembly.
        at http://www.bertaut.com see what he sez. he has done a lot of machineing to modify engines.

ryan

ps let me know what you find out.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

What...? 12.35 second 1/4 mile stock time for the 550 isn't fast enough? I say if you want arm socket ripping power, go for a bigger bike......1000 or higher for starters...... 8)

Comment

I'm having Temptress make a set of 4-1 pipes totally open, and i'll run pods with bigger jets. also going to use dyna s. I just bought a 550l that I can actually ride while the other is stripped. Thanks for your help.
            P.S.--- N2O

Comment

What, no takers on a GM-powered 'Zuke???

Comment

What, no takers on a GM-powered 'Zuke???
                he said he wanted it FAST. :P :P

Comment

You could probably mill the head a little to bump up compression.

Comment

then I would need adjustable cam gears to correct for the milling, right?

Comment

No on the adjustable cam gears. As long as your chain isn't beyond service limits the tensioner should take up the slack.

Comment

I had an fj1200 for the arm socket ripping power.

Comment

Does anyone know if a offsett sprocket(5/8) for a larger GS will work on the 550? Should I just make one? I am Trying to clear a 190 tire. (for the look, not necessity)

Comment

that is supposed to be five eighths not a happy face.

Comment

the sprocket is not the problem, i am running a 130 on my 550 and i have only about a 1/8" of clearance from the brake brace arm and tire. granted i have disc breaks front and back. i know you are going for looks but a 190 is pretty big for a little 550 motor it may seriouly slow you down. you may have to fabricate a new brace arm and modify the chain if you choose a bigger tire. just stick with the 130, it looks plenty good

-Ryan
                              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                              82 Kat 1000 Project
                              05 CRF450x
                              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                              X