Success... She lives again after almost a decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success... She lives again after almost a decade

Thanks to all of your assistance with our '82 GS650L. After many years of neglect sitting in a barn and gradually falling apart our rescue and restoration effort is complete. This last weekend she came to life and I was able to take a short ride. I still have a few tweaks to do but she lives again.

Congrats and good job. It's a shame when people let perfectly good bikes go to waste.

Comment

have any pics to post?

Comment

No pictures yet. I'll try to get some scanned soon.

Comment

Have you done a charging circuit test?

I wish someone would have told me to do a charging circuit test before I got on the road. Have you done one yet? It seems to pop up far from home not long after you get back on the road.

Comment

I have not preformed any tests yet, however, there is a problem with the elecrtical system. The new battery(actually the 2nd new battery) keeps going dead, there is a short somewhere in the system. I had the key in the off position and there was still spark when I pulled the # 1 coil wire off. I'm not sure but I don't think there should be power to the coil with the bike off, I'll have a bit of troubleshooting to do on that, and any other little problems that crop up. If any one has any other suggestions please yell!!!!

Comment

Is the acid level ok?

Is the acid level ok? I didn't know why but I kept having to add water to the battery. The Regulator/Rectifier was shot, and the Stator was free to cook the battery.

Comment

I can't say for sure if the acid level is good, but I just bought it from the local Suzuki dealer and they charged it up for me over night on a trickel charger.

Comment

If you have a manual.....

If you have a manual it will tell you how to test the charging system. Other than that just keep an eye one the acid level. If you cant keep a charge, and the level keeps droping something is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X