Re-building 1982 GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-building 1982 GS650GL

After probably 10 years of neglect I'm rebuilding my 1982 GS650GL that I bought new in '82. It's still in pretty decent shape, but has one problem. It starts fine, and will idle with no problem. However, when you try and give it power it either dies or runs very poorly.

It's sat for years without being run and without any treatment in the gas so I'm guessing the carbs are gummed up. I've got the rebuild kits and am going to try that.

Any other suggestions?

Also, anyone know where to got a decent Vetter Rooster fairing or similiar with a windshield that will hold a radio?

Thanks.

Suprisingly, ideling is the most complex and demanding thing a carb is asked to do. If it does that ok, I would check some other things first. Namely the ignition system. Might still be the carbs, but don't rule out other things. If it is a fuel issue, make sure the petcock is working correctly. Does it have a fuel filter? That may restrict flow if it is old.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You're almost certainly going to have to do a thorough carb cleaning (use a good manual - like Clymer).
      Don't forget to check your air filter element and check for any air leaks at any of the boots connecting the carbs to the engine and air box. Also, seal the tiny air leaks between the air box lid and air box (try silicone). In my case (1980 GS450L), the air filter element had disintegrated and there were tiny air leaks in various other places. I had cleaned the carbs (several times) and it would not run right. It was only after I resolved all the air flow and air leak issues that the bike ran decently. The CV carbs on our bikes are VERY sensitive to improper air flow.
      You will drive yourself nuts cleaning the carb a million times (as I did) only to finally realize that the air flow (or leak) problems were critical as well.
      Also, if you have any lage exhaust leaks, your bike will not run smoothly.

Comment

When taking the carbs apart, use a impact driver bit fit into a socket to remove all the Philips head screws. I find that these screws are very susceptible to striping. Especially if they have been sitting for a long time, also download and print the carbs rebuild manual found on this web site, its very useful.

ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

My problem with carbs wasn't the phillips head, but the Air Screw...2 carbs cleaned, 2 stripped and uncleaned air screws...I am debating about getting new or just letting it go...

Comment

look under tips and trick for stuck air screws, if you have enought slot left on the air screws you could try this trick.

ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
            X