Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is degreaser good enough for cleaning carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is degreaser good enough for cleaning carbs?

I went to the auto store looking for a pail of carb cleaner, and all they had was carb cleaner in a can, and a product called Dunk Degreaser which came in a big plastic jug. I bought degreaser... is this strong enough to clean my carbs properly? It says on the side it's safe for rubber hoses...

look again

I had to try 2 auto parts stores to get a "pail" of carb cleaner. It was well worth it, as it's strong, nasty stuff...I did one carb with canned cleaner, and then did the second with the pail...big difference. Just don't smoke and clean carbs :twisted:

Comment

And use gloves!!!!!!!!

Comment

Anyone know what store to buy this from in Canada? CT doesn't have it.

Comment

If you want the good stuff, it comes in a 5 gallon metal pail with a dipping tray. It's a little pricey, but it cleans aluminum so nice it'll make you cry.

It's about $17 a gallon and the basket holds 5 gallons I think. Like I said pricey, but it will clean all aluminum parts - pistons, etc.

Comment

Personally, I would'nt let anthing but gas contact the rubber parts. It sounds like you are just going to dunk the carbs as a unit to clean? You can't do a good cleaning on the inside unless you take the carbs apart.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I plan to take the carbs apart, as per the instructions on this site (great pics and instructions BTW!!!). I'm only going to dip the parts in after I remove all rubber o-rings, etc. I just need to find the heavy duty cleaner to dip it into....

Comment

here you go. thay have a store locator. you can get it in the one gallon can just the right size for doing one carb at a time.
                hmm tryed there store locator, its not that good.
                most auto parts stores cary the gallon can of cleaner, to save driving time call all the ones in the phone book thay will beable to tell you the price and if thay have it. if thay dont carry it thay should be able to order some.

Comment

I used this stuff called Castrol Super Clean when I rebuilt the carbs on my CB550F. I stripped them, then soaked them in a bucket of the stuff diluted roughly 2:1 with hot water. After 20 minutes, you could eat off 'em. However, it's really potent - it'll eat through cheap chrome plating like Rosie O'Donnell at an all you can eat buffet. I made the mistake of soaking my float bowls and it turned them an ugly grayish color. But at least they were squeaky clean. :roll: I'm so glad I don't have to go through that with my new GS....at least not yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X