Carb vent tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb vent tubes?

It looks like i'm supposed to have two vent tubes connected to my carbs according to the shop manual... but they're missing. Where are they supposed to go, and what do they do?

should be between 1-2 and 2-3, and they just run down toward the bottom of the bike. I think they are supposed to keep the carbs from dumping into the engine.
    Don't think routing matters much, but keep it away from electrical

Comment

I guess it depends on your bike, but mine are supposed to be routed so they come out above the air filter cover. Then the ends of both stick underneath a metal loop on the cover.

Comment

If I'm just trying to get the bike up and running, do I need to have them installed?

Comment

The 2 tubes you're talking about are the floatbowl vent tubes.
          They provide venting for the bowls so the jets can easily draw fuel. Fuel should never come out of them unless the bike is on its side. They should not be kinked or blocked in any way. The tubes should be on IF THE BIKES INTAKE IS STOCK.

If you have pod filters, the tubes should be removed. Pod filters increase the intake so much, that the stock venting system is not adequate. Fuel will not flow well and you can experience fuel starvation if they are left on.
          The increased intake actually creates a vortex in the tubes. When you remove the tubes, you decrease the resistance. It's all you can do to "modify" the venting to the increased intake flow.
          Removing the floatbowl vent tubes is a requirement when using Dyno-jet jet kits on a pod filtered motor.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X