Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is the better manual ?

:? Is it HAYNES or CLYMER.?

I have read that most of you talk about CLYMER in the fourm.
    I need to get one and you all could tell me and some other people might like to know.

The Motor Bookstore sells DIY repair manuals for cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors & more. Shop our selection of OEM, ATSG, Haynes, & Clymer manuals today!

This is where i was looking to buy

Boy, it'd be nice to have a bike that Clymer or Haynes made a manual for. Hell, it'd be nice to have a bike ANYONE made ANYTHING for!!!

I've had good experiences with both manuals, personally - but I can't say that I've ever owned both books for the same vehicle, so I haven't been able to compare like-for-like.

Or you could just buy the factory service manual like I had to. If the cost of 60 bucks (plus shipping) doesn't put you off, going through a 200-count box of page protectors and an hour of labor stuffing it all into a binder might....

Comment

The Suzuki manual is hard to beat. I haven't found a nut or bolt on my bike the manual doesn't cover.

QuaiChang, if you ever need any info for your bike I have the Suzuki factory manual. Just send me a private message if you need anything out of it.

Comment

Re: Which is the better manual ?

I have the Clymer book for Suzuki GS750 Fours 1977-1982.
        The book number is M370.
        I havent any criticisms of it and I think it is fine for the general do it yourself mechanic. I would buy it again if needed.

Earl

Originally posted by Jmurphy
        :? Is it HAYNES or CLYMER.?

I have read that most of you talk about CLYMER in the fourm.
        I need to get one and you all could tell me and some other people might like to know.

The Motor Bookstore sells DIY repair manuals for cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors & more. Shop our selection of OEM, ATSG, Haynes, & Clymer manuals today!

This is where i was looking to bu

y
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Books are cheap...mistakes are costly...get all three.
          S.

Comment

I like that philosophy.

Comment

I have the Haynes manual, and it seems to be rather lacking in some of the torque settings and such. I heard the Clymer has these values, as does the factory manual, of course. While I don't know much about the Clymer, I think I'd try it over Haynes just due to that. Otherwise, Haynes is pretty good.

--Tyler

Comment

I've got both the Suzuki manual and the Clymer manual. I'd advise you to acquire both. I often find one better than another depending on the job. Clymer is probably a little more detailed when describing routine maintenance chores.

Clymer gave me great customer service when I acquired a misprinted manual a couple of years ago.

Comment

I have had the Suzuki manual for years and recently bought the Clymer. Don't know why I bought it, just did. I still refer 100% to the Suzuki book. Don't know anything about the Haynes for bikes, but when I was younger, I wrenched cars all the time. Back then the Clymer was good for mechanical info, whereas the Haynes was better for electrical and such. I'm sure both are usefull.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have not seen a Clymers or Haynes manual for the 83' 750ED, had to buy the factory manual $60.00. If you buy the factory manual you will also need a parts index - usually found on on Ebay for $5.00 + shipping.

Comment

I've got the Haynes book for my bike, and bought a Clymer for my gf's Savage... hard to do a comparison, since they're for different bikes, but I think I find the Haynes a little clearer in their explanations/diagrams. I like the layout of the Haynes better, and that I'm not flipping pages as much trying to find info on whatever repair I'm working on. Maybe it's just that I know my bike and my manual inside/out over her bike and book...

I agree with the others - where it's available, buy all of 'em.

Robben

Comment

The Clymer and Haynes manuals seem good, particularly in describing tasks for people not used to doing mechanical work. The haynes I used with my first big bike (GT750J), it covers routine work and has torque settings etc (I still have 2 copies..forget why now!). The Clymer for the GSX1100 is similar, clear on procedures (I have one of those two, but never owned the bike!). The GS1000 Suzuki manual is the best but assumes some mechanical knowledge. The Gs750 factory manual I have (the ex owned one, I kept the manual!) is more like a Haynes/Clymer manual..the later GS1000 manual is far more detailed and useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          I have had the Suzuki manual for years and recently bought the Clymer. Don't know why I bought it, just did. I still refer 100% to the Suzuki book. Don't know anything about the Haynes for bikes, but when I was younger, I wrenched cars all the time. Back then the Clymer was good for mechanical info, whereas the Haynes was better for electrical and such. I'm sure both are usefull.
                          I agree with the what was said above as I preferred Haynes to Chilton and other manuals for my automobiles because most of the times I really needed them involved chasing down electrical problems and I too found that Haynes had the better Electrical diagrams (most complete).

I have used both Haynes and Clymer manuals with bikes and the difference hasn't been as clear. I still would get a factory manual too go along with them.

Mike

Comment

sounds like someone may have a factory manual for a GS750 laying around....

what year, and would you consider selling?

Comment

Yeah, well haynes and clymer are both off my Christmas card list seeing they don't do a manual for my 1981 GS1000ST, (8 valve) there are many differences between my model and the earlier ('77 thru '79) GS1000 models, like CV carbs, electronic ignitions, etc etc, but no manual?

Looks like the only manual I can get is the original factory item, seems like it's still available, so I might have to bite the bullet and lay out 60 bucks for it. If anyone out there has this manual and doesn't need it any more, I'd be happy to buy it, or trade for one of the 3 or so other ones I've got sitting in my garage that I hoped might cover my bike?

Comment

Working...
                              X