Oil, for "older/high mileage" vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil, for "older/high mileage" vehicles

Anyone try any of these "new" oils for older..."high mileage" vehicles?
    I'm curious how it might work in our older bikes.
    Some of us have high mileage or just age going for us.

I changed my oil this morning and used the Castrol 10W-40 for high mileage.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
    I'm off this weekend for a long ride. About 400 miles thru Vermont and the same back south thru New Hampshire
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

I've always been waryof products, when the only ones bragging on it is the co. that makes, or sells it. So far I've not heard anyone who thought it was any better than any other oil, but granted, I know few who have tried it. Just wondering, if 50,000 is high mileage, if you use this oil on new engines, would the engine get 100,000 before they were high mileage?

Comment

good oil

I am trying out castrol heavy duty motor oil for high milage hard working engines, its a straight 30w because I live in a temparate zone where it uaually stays above 40 degrees, so far so good...........................

Comment

i'm running Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 in my 79 with jsut about 13000 miles. the neutral shift has become hard to find...so i think i'm due for an oil change.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          i'm running Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 in my 79 with jsut about 13000 miles. the neutral shift has become hard to find...so i think i'm due for an oil change.

~Adam
          I just started using Rotella T 5W-40 and I have noticed the same thing. I had trouble getting the bike into neutral immediately after changing from Castrol 10W-40 to the Rotella T. I think I'll try it through a couple of changes and see if things get better.

I have been a little leery of synthetics as the first on I used was Mighty Max that a friend recommended and sold. He builds cars and uses it in his shop and has also used it in his Harley and likes it but when I first tried it in my Sabre it made the clutch slip. Changing back to dino oil (Castrol 10W-40) cured the clutch slip and I hadn't tried a synthetic since. I noticed that a lot of people were reporting good luck using the Rotella T on another board so I thought I'd give it a try.

Mike

Comment

Castrol 20W50 is what my bikes like best, others makes mine slip as well.

Comment

I think that stuff basically just reconditions old seals.......I run Castrol 10w 40 and My bike seems to be happy with that year round

Comment

I usually use Castrol 10W-40.
                Figured I'd give this a try.

I'll let you know
                Keith
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

update on oil for older motors

Here's an update after 650-700 miles so far.
                  NO PROBLEMS! Nothing, still shifts fine.
                  Didn't use adrop off oil.
                  Lots of this mileage was at higher rpm, like over 5-6K sustained.
                  Many runs over 7K, some to 8K, never missed a beat.

So no difference, so far.
                  Keith
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Working...
                  X