What RPM should I redline at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What RPM should I redline at?

I have a 82 1100L and was wondering how high the redline should be. I can only get it up to 5000 RPM and approx 140 KPH flat out on the highway. Is this normal? Is there something wrong?

I think something is definitely wrong! Around 9000 is redline, 140 should be an easy cruising speed, not flat out. Methinks you have tuning problems.

Comment

Redline

Sounds like you have a lean problem. Does the bike rev in lower gears? Does it sound like BBWWAAAAAHHH when you hold the throttle open? Pull a plug and I bet you'll see lots of white on the end. Do you have the air filter in? Are the carb boots sealed to the head? Are the carb to airbox boots sealed tight on each end? Is this an oil type filter with no oil? Have you checked float level, cleaned carbs? Does it idle? Bob

Comment

The carbs seem to be sealed. I'm running the are box with a stock style filter. I have trouble keeping the bike idling when cold. Everything sounds good up until the 4-5000 rpm when it tops out. I have what I think are the original coils on it. Would changing that maybe help?

Comment

9000....psssshhhh :roll:

Comment

No High RPM

I'd pull the plugs and see what they look like. A good gauge to look at is on Dan's motorcycle page under spark plug chart. www.dansmc.com
            It still sounds lean to me whether it's not enough fuel or too much air.
            You can drain all of the carb bowls and roughly tell if they are all holding the same amount of fuel but it won't tell you if the floats are too low. Bob

Comment

I'm gonna guess that your carbs are mucked up. Clean em out, and I bet the problem goes away.

Comment

I checked my plugs and they are a rusty brown color which is the way thaey are supposed to be. The bike will rev to 9000 rpm when it is sitting still. Once its under the load of going down the road it doesn't top out over 5000 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockford
                  I checked my plugs and they are a rusty brown color which is the way thaey are supposed to be. The bike will rev to 9000 rpm when it is sitting still. Once its under the load of going down the road it doesn't top out over 5000 rpm.
                  That sounds like a fuel flow problem, check the 'ole petcock (and gas cap for proper venting) to make sure she's opening all the way

Comment

How do I go about checking the petcock to see if it is working properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockford
                      How do I go about checking the petcock to see if it is working properly?
                      I don't know the flow rate for the valve to measure, and yours' is definitely somewhat working,so we'll try elimination,while under load and maxxed out on Rs, open the gas cap, any change? Next, or 1st,don't matter, with the engine off, petcock valve set to 'run',(check the vacuum line that opens the valve, for leakage,cracking,kinking, tightness etc. same with feed line to carbs) should have steady flow when vacuum is applied, the same as when in 'pri' position. If that seems to be OK, are your carb bowl vent tubes clear? OK? on to draining the gas tank removing and disassembling the petcock, I had the guide pin in mine break off and wedge itself so the diaphragm couldn't retract fully to open the valve all the way

Comment

So I think I found the problem. Today I finally had time to tear things apart and when I got the airbox of it was staring me in th e face. I believe that the previous owner had tried to use spray carb cleaner without removing the airbox. The result was the rubber from the boots had streched and melted to the point that 2 of the carbs were breathing through a hole about the size of a quarter. I have a set of pod filters on the way so I will be back in business again shortly. Thanks for the advice I actually learned something that may help me down the road.

Comment

Working...
                        X