Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert from Chain to Shaft? (This Oughta be Fun Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert from Chain to Shaft? (This Oughta be Fun Discussion)

For those few sickos who have too much time on their hands and can remember too many posts from too many people, you may recall that I acquired my 1979 GS1000L as sort of a "pig in a poke" trade for an old snowplow truck about a year ago. My GS just picked me, I didn't really pick it. It's not my first bike in my life, but it's my first after a 20-year layoff from motorcycling (career, wife, kids, house, the usual stupid stuff!). But this past year riding on the GS has absolutely put me back in love with riding, and I intend to keep riding well into my old age (as long as I can get a 500+ pound behemoth up on a centerstand!).

Recently, I've been *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing and moaning about certain aspects of my beloved 1979 GS1000L: the uncomfortable riding position due to the combination of the "L" seat and handlebars (which are relatively easy and inexpensive to fix) and now most recently, the chain drive. I'm at sort of a crossroads right now. I've figured out that I'm not a "cruiser-style-bike" kinda guy, and I'm leaning to a shaft-driven sport-touring type bike (dream bike: new Yamaha FJR 1300 sport-tourer, although its way, way more bike than I am rider, and no way could I spend that kind of money on a motorcycle).

I'm considering sacrilege: sell the GS and buy a used Kawasaki Concours, probably 1994 or later model year. This "trade-up" would cost me around $3000, which would require heavy negotiation with my wife (lots and lots of begging) with maybe a 50/50 chance that I'd be able to pull it off.

So here's my alternative plan:

I'm thinking of "converting" my 1979 GS1000L into a "standard" GS1000G and throwing on a fairing and hard saddlebags (which I got for free from a GSR member, off a GS 850!). The seat and handlebar and fairing and bags conversion is easy, the shaft conversion is the hard part. I know Suzuki made the 1979 1000 cc models in both chain and shaft drive versions, and both standard and "L" styling versions. How hard would it be to find a shaft drive GS1000 or other compatable year/model GS in a junkyard (or here on the GSR) and swap the shaft drive over to my bike? Anyone here on the GSR ever done this? Anyone know which years/models shaftie donors would work? Would I just be taking a perfectly good and innocent and functional chain-driven "L" model and making a "Frankenstein" bike with little market value? Finally, anybody in the New England area with a shaft drive GS, who may be just aching to have a 1979 GS1000L in nice shape, you wanna trade?!!!!

Thanks in advance for your responses.

It would probably be cheaper(certainly less work) to just get the bike you want, unless someone gives you a G model with a wrecked front end, as you'd need to change the cases, get a different swing arm, final drive, driveshaft, rear wheel, etc.

Comment

I'm pretty sure, even the frames are different. The 1000 G, the 1000 GL, the 1000 L, & the 1000 E frames are all different.

Comment

Aww, why don't you just forget it, Brion, and just leave that chain driven useless piece of machinery at my house after the LSSNER! I'll take care of it for ya. On second thought, you gotta throw in a case of beer, then I'll definitely take it off your hands, just to be a nice guy.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think the best thing to do would be get a shaft drive GS, either through selling or trading yours or getting a real cheap non runner and fixing it up over the winter. Just make sure you have at least one running bike. When you get the new one up and running, sell the old one. A 1982 GS1100GL just sold on ebay for $243. You would have much less hassle with your wife. I agree, a Connie is a great bike. The GS1000G and GS1100G are great bikes and they are a lot cheaper than the Connie.
          For what its worth, I have a GS850G I'm trying to get back on the road. According to Nick Diaz, there isn't much of a problem switching over the engine and driveshaft from a GS1000G. They use the same frame and accessories(sp). I was going to bid on that $243 GS1100G and plug that engine and shaft into my 850. There is a little more hassle involved in using an 82 or newer engine in an 81 or earlier framet. My internet connection went down just as I was confirmng my bid. I was not a happy camper.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like the shaft conversion is a bad plan.

Anybody have a free Kawi Concours they want to give me?!!!

Heck, while I'm dreaming, anybody have a 2004 FJR1300 they want to give me?!!!

Vaguely more realistically, anyone in New England have a GS Shaftie with a blown motor and/or wrecked front end, that I could put my motor and/or front end into?!!

Comment

As there is already a great shaft option in the same bike, far better and cheaper to just get it!

Comment

Working...
              X