Drive Hub Modification Kit - GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Hub Modification Kit - GS850G

I picked up a "Drive Hub Modification Kit" for my GS850G project bike. The guy I bought it from said it would eliminate slop in the drivetrain to make the bike accelerate faster (like dropping down a few teeth on the sproket of a chain drive bike), and would not hurt top end. I just bought it on impulse. Does anybody know anything about these kits? Is it worth putting on my bike? Will it damage anything or accelerate wear? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know what a "drive hub modification kit" consists of, but from your description, it sounds very much like you got bent over the proverbial barrel. What is the contents of this kit? Pictures?
    The only way to improve acceleration "like dropping down a few teeth on the sproket of a chain drive bike" is to do just that, change the gearing, which would be a tremendous feat to do on a GS shaftie. If all this kit does it reduce slop, the only increased acceleration you might notice is in the first inch the bike moves when letting out the clutch.
    I might have a line on a bridge...cheap. Interested?

Comment

Is the bridge in Arizona?

It was only $15 , so I figured I wouldn't get hurt too bad if it didn't do anything. I figure I can always try to sell it on ebay if someone here doesn't want it. I would put up a picture, but I have never gotten a picture up on the web successfully. I have e-mailed pictures before, though. The kit is just a machined metal disk about 5 1/2 inches in diameter with a hole in the middle that is just under 3 inches in diameter, leaving a ring. There are teeth machined into the inside of the ring perpendicular to the face of the disk. There are 6 studs on the disk. There are also washers and bolts. The directions say to remove the rear hub driven joint assembly from the rear wheel and replace it with " The new type of rear hub driven joint assy". Therefore, I think this is a different type of rear hub driven joint assembly, whatever that means. Nick Diaz was saying something about the metal on the rear hub of the 82 and newer GS shaft drives was softer than the older models. Maybe this was kit was actually designed to correct that, and has nothing to do with performance. Anyway, I hope someone here knows something about it. Thanks.

Comment

You were had, it seems to me. In all my years on GS shafties, I've never heard of that.

Send me a picture via e-mail at marinick@erols.com . I'm curious.

Drive-line slop on GS shafties is minimal. Suzuki designed it so. Get on a Yamaha or Kawasaki shaftie of the same era and you'll see what driveshaft slop is about. Get on a BMW airhead or a Guzzi (I used to own a Guzzi) and you'll feel that rear end rise on acceleration. On the GS this is practically nonexistent.

Yes, the 82 GS850G driven gear is made of softer metal. The older ones and newer ones are identical in measurements, but not in material. Therefore, they're interchangeable. This is for longevity, not for drive line slop, though.

If there's a bike that doesn't need one of these products, it's the GS shaftie. I'm quite amused.

Nick

Comment

Nick can you explain to me why the GS doesn't rise up (or not as much) when you accelerate? I know that the newer BMW's and Guzzi's have sone kind of system to prevent this, a paralell arm of some sort.

Comment

It sounds like you got the drive gear that bolts to the wheel. You will probably never need it but I would keep it for a spare.

Comment

Robinjo, on modern BMW's it's the "Paralever" system that keeps the bike in line. I don't know how it works exactly, but Energizer Bunny has an R1150R, so perhaps he can explain it to us.

As far as GS shafties go, I can't tell you why they don't rise as much on acceleration, other than to refer to the U-joint on the shaft being close to the swingarm pivot point. I vaguely remember that when someone years ago tried to explain it to me.

So, I pass on this one. I hope someone else in this forum picks up the ball and gives us a satisfactory explanation.

As for me, I enjoy riding a shaftie that rises and falls very little, to the point where I don't even notice it at all in daily riding. Getting on a Yamaha XS750 or XS850 triple, or an XS1100 can make one thankful that Suzuki did a much better job with the shaft than anyone else did 25 years ago -- that's when the first GS shaftie, the 850, came out.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                  Nick can you explain to me why the GS doesn't rise up (or not as much) when you accelerate? I know that the newer BMW's and Guzzi's have sone kind of system to prevent this, a paralell arm of some sort.
                  I think it's all in the geometry. For their time the GS shafties were really good. For a modern bike find a review or spec sheet for the Yamaha FJR1300 which uses the geometry of the swingarm amongst other things.

Comment

Working...
                  X