Hot regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot regulator?

How warm should the regulater get during operation? I just had a thing to go out to Suzi and go through and clean up some connections since I had planned on a trip and am looking things over. I found the 3 stator wire bullett-connecters were almost rotted apart. I removed them and soldered direct the wires. I started the bike up and my volt guage immediately went to 14.5 volts, and Suzi seemed instantly healthier. I ran the bike for about 2 minutes and shut down. I touched the regulater while checking connections and it was hot to the touch, not burning hot, but not something to hold onto for more than a few seconds. I did the same again and same temp again. Is this normal or is something wrong? I never touched it to see how hot it was before so i have nothing to compare it to. everything else electrical seems to check out, so I put a trickle on the battery ( it was not dead, but alittle low). Any ideas? :twisted:

Tim, my regulator/rectifier also gets warm to the touch. On the 84 GK it's located up near the battery, accessible by removing the sidecover. On my 850's it was under the battery box. Of course, there's more cooling air flowing by when it's located up rather than down. My reg is original equipment, never been replaced. Working just fine.

Where is your regulator located on your 83 GK?

Glad you cleaned up your connections. Big difference, eh?

Nick

Comment

The reg will get warm, It's normal. That is why it has those fins on it, they are for cooling. Just make sure that the connections are good and that the reg has a good ground

Comment

Ok, I was curious, I never really noticed it before, that's all. I knew it had to get warm, hence the cooling fins, but figured it would only get that way under a load or where its placed, as mine is located on the left side of the seating area, just above and behind the fusebox. ( I never figure how air gets around the airbox and the side cover to cool this thing). It seems alot better, I rode it this evening, with all the accessories on, and off, charging good, only thing I noticed was at idle, my volt guage reads 14.5, and when i speed up it goes down to 13.5.....go figure!! :twisted:

Comment

that brings up a good question!, some or all Katanas have the regultor rectifier mounted on the side out in the air flow.
          I wonder why they did it that way with them??

I also noticed that Harley puts the regulator in front of the engine where it can get good cool air.

Comment

It's actually a good thing the voltage goes down as the rpm climbs. 14.5 volts is enough to boil your battery if it's constant.

Comment

there was a string about putting a cpu fan on the regulator to keep it cool, the guy had temperatures for the regulator listed. Mine gets too hot to touch after a long run. I am putting a cpu fan on it the first chance i get.

Comment

Working...
              X