Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS 550: Do L model and E model frames interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 550: Do L model and E model frames interchange?

I've got a 1980 GS550E that I'd like to restore, but I don't have a title. I have a lead on a 1979 GS550L frame with a clear title. I'd like to put my E-model parts on the L-model frame.

Are these two frames the same? I know the L model had a smaller rear wheel and leading axle forks, but I don't know if there were any changes to the frame.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

bruce___@hotmail.com

About the only parts that are a direct interchange are the the electrics and the motor. The bodywork is different and the frames are made to take the bodywork.

Comment

Need title?

If you just doing this to get a title, there is an easier way. I have a bike that needs a title also. I'm going to use International Title Service. There is also a company called Broadway Title. They can get you a title for an 87 or older motorcycle. The cost is something like $150. As I understand it, you "sell" them the bike, they title it, then "sell" it back to you. The bike never leaves your hands, but you now have a title to take to the DMV. "Sell" in this case is a legal fiction. I think the process takes about 2 weeks. For an additional fee, they will expedite the service. They won't retitle bikes that have been stolen or have liens on them. Hope this helps,

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys.
        BH

Comment

Working...
        X