Kick Starter for '80 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Starter for '80 GS850G?

HI, I'm new to this forum/site and was wondering if anyone has ever installed a kickstarter on the '80 model of the GS850G. It doesn't look like it was standard, it has an electric starter, but I'd like the back up. It has an illistration in the original Suzuki Service manual (From Suzuki Motor Co.), but no indication of how it is connected!

I think the only way you could do it would be to install a GS850 engine from a 79 or earlier bike that had kickstart. I like the idea of a backup, also.

Comment

You could install a kickstarter on your 1980 GS850G. I had one of each, so I know. Problem is you need lots of parts, including obviously the kickstarter lever; most importantly, however, is the different clutch cover, one with a hole in it for the lever mechanism. If you can find these, then the job can be done.

I do question the need to have such a backup. I've had five GS shafties since 1986 -- 82, 82, 79, and 80 GS850G's, and now my GS110GK. Only the 79 GS850 had a kickstarter. In the two years I had that bike, not once did I use the kickstarter after trying it once or twice when I bought the bike. That's because the bike ran perfectly, started electrically right away, and gave me no trouble.

Kickstarting an 850 is a pain in the _________. Each throw of the lever does not move the crankshaft that much. It takes some effort to move the crank far enough and fast enough to get the bike started.

So, what you're thinking to do is doable, but I wouldn't waste my time or effort, or money.

Nick

Comment

Just wanted to say I have a 79 GS850G and it kick starts better than it electronicly starts. Even in cold weather onlu one kick and she fires right up. In cold weather using the starter most of the time it kills the battery before it starts.

Comment

Chances are you start your 79 GS850 easier with the kickstarter for the following reasons:

1. The 79 was the first model year for the GS850. It came with points ignition. Later models came with electronic ignition, which gives a much stronger spark. My 79 GS850, which I owned for the 96 and 97 riding seasons, had an aftermarket electronic ignition, a Martek. I had absolutely no problem starting that bike electrically. It would fire up immediately after pushing the starter button -- which is the way any GS should start. State of tune of carbs and valves is also important for easy starting.

2. The 79 GS850 had a puny stator, with just 12 coils, instead of the 18 on the 1980 and beyond.

3. The 79 GS850 had very old-fashioned slide carbs. The CV carbs on later 850's make the bike run better and more efficiently.

Nick

Comment

kick starter GS850G

I use mine on cold mornings just to loosen up the oil and limber the engine and take a bit of load off the starter. I especially did this back before I converted to electronic igintion, but I still do it if it's cold and been sitting. It's just being nice to the engine.

Since replacing the points and condensers with the electronic ignition, the bike starts with just a touch of the button. What a great difference it made!

I had a battery fail on me in the middle of a trip a while back. Ran really badly, backfiring, etc. and naturally wouldn't start electrically. The kick starter was a nice thing to have then.

Comment

What Nick said. I might add that if you have the bucks or the parts and are bored then go for it. If not spend the time that you would be wrenching to make that mod riding.

Comment

Let me see if i understand this right. If my battery dies I should be able to kick start the bike? Dose that mean it has a magnito in it?

Comment

No magneto. With points minimal voltage is need to run the ignition, so even if the strarter does not turn you can usually kick or bump start the bike. With electronic ignitions some (mostly optical, such as the martek) need a minimum voltage for them to work. If the battery is run down and with starter working voltage drop can be too much. Usually they will kick or bump start as well.

With a higher compression motor in cold weather (below freezing) the standard starter and battery is pushed a bit...not their fault! If the bike has not been used for a few days, I fun running on prime on the fuel tap before starting can make a difference...fires first time.

Modern batteries are really good. I used to run a bigger size battery years ago to supply enough starting power, now a standard size battery does.

Comment

The real benefits of a kick starter have already been stated here, but just to reinforce, a "kicker" is a great thing for circulating oil around the top end of your engine before using the "electric leg", it certainly increases the life of an engine by reducing the damage caused by "dry starting". It doesn't matter how good your oil is, if its not swishing around your cams, your cam bearings, and cam lobes are at risk.

A kicker is also a great tool for priming your engine and getting some gas into the combustion chambers, particularly in cold weather, or when the bike has been sitting unused for awhile. And lastly, if your battery is marginal, i.e., it holds 12 volts but doesn't have the amperage to turn the engine over for very long, (not that GS Suzuki's suffer from charging problems, ha ha!) using the kicker allows all the power to go to the ignition, which makes for quicker starting.

Because my other infatuation is old Honda CB750's, I often lament the lack of a kicker on my big Suzy's, just the thought of those cams spinning around on dry cam bearings sends a shudder up my spine! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Working...
                    X