What to use for points lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use for points lube?

I'd had success with using dielectric tune up grease to lube the rubbing block on car points in the past (the little cyanide capsule of points lube would often be missing from the package), but it doesn't seem to last too long on the bike, it looks like it cooks away. I just tried a dab of caliper grease, and that doesn't seem to do any better. Anyone have a good substitute?

Thanks,
    HB

I just apply a small dab of moly grease to the cam when I change the oil, make sure the felt wick is also saturated with grease (not globed on) It doesn't require alot of lube

Comment

Another alternative is to get an electronic ignition for the bike.

Nick

Comment

I also have used moly grease. Stays around long enough in between checking the points

Comment

Thanks! I'll try the moly grease, it will also help if I have to grease any molys. I have not felt wick though. Nick, that is also great advice, but the Dyna S is probably going to have to wait till spring, when I have more classes (and money). It is the ultimate solution though.

Comment

bosch makes grease specifically for the cam and rubbing block. try in import parts house

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              Another alternative is to get an electronic ignition for the bike.

Nick
              And then you don't have grease, don't have to adjust points because you used wrong grease and wore the heel away - in fact don't have to take cover off again!!

Comment

A dab of grease is cheaper!

Besides which, you still have to lube the mechaanical advance with most replacement ignitions....not very often mind.

Comment

Working...
                X