X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock problems

I have a 1982 GS850GL, that doesn't want to deliver any gas to the Carbs
    Things I have done so far:
    I applied vacuum to the vacuum side and it holds the vacuum without any drop in pressure.
    I Checked the engine to make sure it was pulling vacuum down the vacuum tube while the starter was turning the engine and it was.
    I removed the petcock to see if anything was blocking the filter and nothing was blocking it but I sprayed everything down with Carb cleaner anyways ans reinstalled it.
    I then again tried to apply vacuum to the vacuum port and with a Clear tube to the fuel line and still nothing is coming out of the tank.

Where oh where do I go next, I hate to buy a new one Just to find out I'm doing something wrong or something was overlooked.

Petcock problems

First, turn the petcock to "PRIme" and see if fuel flows. If not, then the petcock is plugged. Just disassemble the petcock and clean out the interior. WARNING: you may need to replace a few O-rings.

SV

Comment

I have taken the petcock apart and found nothing that seemed wrong with it, except the metal copper piece was a little bent which looks like the piece that pushes the valve open during prime, but it doesn't. The only way I could get fuel to run was to put in prime position and apply vacuum to vacuum port to get the fuel to go into the Carb, but after trying to start the engine fuel started to leak out of the carb. I turned the carb to on wich stopped the flow of fuel and found out the sparks aren't flying now. So now I've got fuel in the carb but no spark. NOt sure what step to take from here to check aprk system.

Comment

Petcock Problems

1) The Copper piece is supposed to be bent -- it's a spring!

2) you don't need vacuum when the petcock is in prime . Maybe you are turning the valve the opposite way. Try it 180 degrees around. You need vacuum in run or reserve.

3) The petcock will leak if the 2 O-rings are dried out. Might be worth getting a repair kit.

Someone brighter that I will have to help you with the spark.

SV

Comment

Try taking the back of the petcock apart, behind the tap itself where the vacuum pipe geas in, sounds like the works are gunged up, be carefull not to tear the (very thin) diaphram when you do so

Comment

also make sure to put enough gas in the tank at least 2 gallons. If you put 1 gallon in you need to run it on reserve or prime position. If the carbs are overflowing TAKE the carbs apart and remove the float needle and the seat assembly. Clean them and replace the O ring seal. reassemble and adjust the floats That should fix your problem with carbs

Comment

Go and get a Pingel Petcock ......Cured all my problems

Comment

Anyone know where you can get the seat for the float needles? and how do you guys take them out without crushing/ruining them? Mine were in really tight.

Comment

You can get float needle&seat assembly on ebay usually $20 for a set

Comment

The job of tackling the carbs is finally over, and the resource on this sight for carb rebuilding was great, although I couldn't find anywhere that sold the O-ring for the Fuel mixture screw hole. It was so small, the closest I could find was a "#60" at Lowe's, the hole was the same size but the O-ring seemd way to thick. Didn't want to force it down the hole and get it stuck so I reused the old one for now, it's a quick fix later if needed. My battery was dead cause I forgot to turn on the engine switch before cranking it, DUH!!! SO this morning I will go out and give it another crank before heading off for the day.
                    Just a little piece of advise, I found that those cans of "air duster" came in really handy for drying the carbs pieces off and blowing out holes. I bought a four pack at SAm's club for $3.31, and after all was said and done I only used one can. Great deal and a big help for those that don't have an air compressor.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Sudco may be able to supply those o-rings.

Comment

Working...
                      X