Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent help needed What Honda rectifier fits 84 1100GKE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent help needed What Honda rectifier fits 84 1100GKE?

Apart from there being an electrical problem, I am about 1200 miles from home and electrical system quit on the GK.

Was stopped in long , long lineup due to accident on highway when electicals quit and bike shut down.

Pushed bike to side of road and used lights from car headlights to try to see what to do.

Opened fuse box .....Main fuse melted.

With ignition OFF, pushed in another fuse....blew instantly.

Traffic was released and cars/trucks all moved, leaving me in the dark on the side of highway.

Finally got the rectifier plug disconnected, pushed in another fuse, shoved the fuse box in place, (could not bolt in back in as I could not see anything) cover on, seat on, rear box on, turned key and bike started.

Drove for about 20 miles, and bike now off highway....Can anyone please tell me which Honda /KawasakiH-D unit will match with an 84 GS1100GK.

There is no Suzuki dealer anywhere near here, but there is a Kaw and H-D dealer/.

It is not the same rectifier as the 82 GS1100G: different connector and it has six wires running into it. (the1100G has only five wires)

Battery is on charge, but I do not know if the stator is good or not...that has to wait until Monday morning when I can find somewhere to buy a Volt/ohmmeter.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Re: Urgent help needed What Honda rectifier fits 84 1100GKE?

Originally posted by argonsagas
    Drove for about 20 miles, and bike now off highway....Can anyone please tell me which Honda /KawasakiH-D unit will match with an 84 GS1100GK.
    It is not the same rectifier as the 82 GS1100G: different connector and it has six wires running into it. (the1100G has only five wires)

This may be of no help as I now understand you, I used it for both 81-82 5-wire Suzi. the Honda number is, 12V SH232-12 8.7, the orange wire is not used but may correspond to your 6th wire

the orange is capped, red is +, yellow, white w/R str. and white w/bl str., are the AC from alt. and BK. is ground

Sorry Ron that sucks, let me know if you need anything else

Comment

Ron,
      You might want to consider strapping a computer fan to your new rectifier to blow cool air across the heatsink. It doesn't matter if it's pushing or pulling air across the rectifier. They draw very little power and certainly couldn't hurt.

Comment

The R/R off an RZ350/RD350 works well. I've had mine for quite a while with no problems. The connector plug was a perfect fit too with no re-arranging of wires.

I hope it works out all okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash
          The R/R off an RZ350/RD350 works well. I've had mine for quite a while with no problems. The connector plug was a perfect fit too with no re-arranging of wires.

I hope it works out all okay.
          How about putting that up "Tips and tricks"

Sucks for you Ron, Murphy's alive and kicking

Comment

Ron,
            I'm running a KZ1000 reg. on My 1980 GS1000,
            works great, just make sure to run an extra ground
            from where it bolts on, to a good frame ground.
            The black wire ground provided wasn't sufficeint
            and the battery box isn't a good enough ground.
            Sucks being stranded (been there done that)
            Peace
            Mo

Comment

Thanks to all for your responses.

Problems got a bit worse.

Got a meter this morning, and found the stator is putting out about 3 volts on one wire, zip on another. I did not bother with the third.

Not unexpected, but I was hoping the problem would be resolved by just replacing the R/R.

Have sent an e-mail to Electrex in LA and Calgary. Neither is open yet, but I hope they will read and reply quickly.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

That's the pits Ron. We all know it wasn't from a lack of care on your part.

Comment

Honda cx500 are good too, you have to redo the terminals though, I suspect a lot of r/r of other motorcycles will fit also

(Was stopped in long , long lineup due to accident on highway when electicals quit and bike shut down.) probably overheated due to no airflow over it, Fit that computer fan!

(It is not the same rectifier as the 82 GS1100G: different connector and it has six wires running into it. (the1100G has only five wires) )
                  This is like a CX500 one the fith wire goes to a power sorce after the ignition to monotor voltage

Hope this helps
                  Deano
                  [/quote]

Comment

Working...
                  X