Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of maintenance and mods are you doing this winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of maintenance and mods are you doing this winter?

That is......if you live where the winter forces you to park or store your bike for a few months. I live in Chicago where is gets ass cold and snows a bit so the 77gs550 is going into the shed for a little bit. Not sure when, probably 1st snow or sometime in November if I can stand the wind sheer (gets about 20 to 100 degrees below with the wind chill sitting still) 8O..........

I intend to do the following which will make my bike happy:

1. New brake pads for the front disk and rear drum, bead blast the front disk and have the rear drum gone over, perhaps get the calipers rebuilt/master cylinder.......

2. Rewire turnsignals and brake lights

3. Actually go through the"Stator Papers" all the way

4. H4 headlight conversion

5. New fork oil and seals

6. Clean the carbs (Bike runs good so I may not do it, its a little rich perhaps....scared to mess it up) and maby synch them....

7. Convert to braided/steel/aluminum brake lines all around w/new fluids

8. Time the bike and adjust if neccesary

9. New points...again, bike runs good so perhaps not......?....

10. Adjust clutch cable and check overall for any routine maintenance.

11. Touch up a few nick in the paint and buff it out, finish polishing motor.

12. (money withstanding :roll Upgrade to Electrics reg/rectifier, Dyna ignition/coils/wires

That seems like a lot so I'm not sure I can do it all but the brakes are getting the first work then anything else. Any advice? What are you going to do to your GS this winter if anything?

If I can scrape up the cash...
    GSXR front end, brace the frame, braced rear swingarm, Piggyback shox, paint, and a good tune up.

Jim

Comment

1. Braided Steel brake lines, at least up front.
      2. Put on a new head with regrind cams
      3. Weisco 816 Piston Kit
      4. Recut rear fender.
      5. Progressive fork springs
      6. 34 mm RS Carbs
      7. Redo seat
      8. 4.5 GSX-R rear wheel conversion.
      9. Flush mount blinkers
      10. Normal maintance, fluid change, tire change, polishing, etc.

Ok, I'm not really doing all of it this winter, but over the next couple years. Unless I get rich somehow.

Comment

I'm going to get the 1980 GS850 G up and running. I've had it going well enough to putter around the neighborhood, but I'm planning on putting a GS1100GL motor, airbox and shaft on it over the winter. I'm also going to paint the frame and do other cosmetic work while the engine is out.Nick Diaz said it was a doable modification.

Comment

A bit late...I have been riding in winter and it is now spring going on summer...you guys are in the wrong part of the world )

Comment

1. Rebuild front forks.

2. Add air cross-over kit to front end.

3. New exhaust(if not on already).

4. Change all fluids.

Comment

Nothing.

Comment

I just Added two new tires and changed fluids..All I have left to do is change the valve cover gasket to get rid of the nasty leak I have and I am good to go !! Of course I will ride all winter though

Comment

I always plan to get something done over the winter but the last 5 years it seems that I am riding through the winter. It hasn't got bad enough that I really see it as being enough down time due to the weather to get anything done.

Though I have been surprised a few times and been caught out in stuff that I really wouldn't have chosen to ride in. But then its always good experience and I've found that the bikes handle things a lot better than I had expected.

Mike

Comment

i'm with Michael....nothing.

mine will probably be in a shed, with a sheet over it, 75 miles away, waiting for spring.

...i'm gonna try and ride through November. 8O

Comment

rebuilds

i have had the RG500 paint redone nickel plated the swing arm powder coated various parts new bars and am just putting rings in the motor.

the 1980 GS1000 i have powder coated the frame and most other black parts had the forks polished then clear powder coated seat re covered will get the paint job done shortly starting to reassemble

the cbx had the duck tail and front guard repainted and a few items powder coated (side stand engine brackets etc) brought new blinkers might fit those as well.

the 1974 H2 just started to restore. frame and other bits went to the powder coaters yesterday.

plus trying to get the H2R replica organized scrounging parts here and the states(leons assisting with freight forwarding) as well as bits from italy

have the body work off the GS1000 race bike getting repainted and getting Tingate Racing to build a new ex system the same as when it raced in 1978

apart from this i sit around and contemplate the meaning of life and relax
                      ozman :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

couple of people mentioned tires..i've been debating putting new tires on now vs spring....that whole sitting for x months jsut doesnt seem good for tires....

whats the concensus ?

Comment

For me, I go thru a tire in 2 months or so. I figure a tire can sit thru the 3 months that I don't ride much. That way the bike is ready for spring fever, not to mention it's good to have deep tread when negotiating snow.

Comment

hmmmmmmm.

Good question.

Well I'd like to get mine running right. Which entails -

- New points - condensers, properly timed.
                            - Probably a carb rebuild and synched.
                            - New exhaust ring gaskets - I've gotta bit of leak up front.
                            - New seat - if I have the cash and/or can find one.
                            - Lots of polishing.

The only problem is that the bike stays in covered parking, but outside. So depending on the weather, it might be to cold to get at this stuff. We'll see.

Satch

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
                              couple of people mentioned tires..i've been debating putting new tires on now vs spring....that whole sitting for x months jsut doesnt seem good for tires....

whats the concensus ?
                              Change them immediately if it were me......My new Michelin Macadams are like night and day compared to the old shiaaty cheng shen's...I went with the V-rated series.....Great tires and very sticky

Comment

Working...
                              X