Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Plates/Feeler Guages

2 Questions, 1 post!
    a> Any experience with aftermarket clutch plates??? JC Whitney??? Barnett???? Ferodo???? I know what stock will run from my dealer, but maybe one of the aftermarket ones are better & cheaper to boot?

b> Having trouble getting a feeler guage that measures down to 0.0010" or whatever the tighest fit is on the GS. My mechanic has lent me a long strip pair (about 10" long) for the upper & lower limits but I hate to keep borrowing from him. Have been looking everywhere, stores, internet but no luck. His came from a huge set that he got 25+ years ago, I just need the upper & lower clearance settings or if a set one that is affordable.
    Thanks

GS 850G, 1981 8O

The aftermarket clutch plates that JC Whitney sells are very good. They are made by ALTO. I am currently running a set in my 850, and am very pleased with them. I researched them before I bought them. I read through their website, and even talked to their tech reps.

As far as feeler guages go, I just have a standard set I bought at a local automotive store. The smallest one is .038 MM. I can't remember what the upper one for my range is. It is just under .08 MM. I just use these as my max and mins.

Comment

USE the stock type springs for your clutch, if that is not enough you can shim them with spark plug washers

Comment

Clutch plates/feeler guages

Thanks for replies, still want to get the real skinny feeler guage. Ihave a 0.0015" but would liked to go all the way as per specs.

Comment

feeler gauges

Hello,
          I bought a set from an industrial supply company. I'm sure you have one handy in your area and you might be surprised at how many metric tools they carry. Good luck

Comment

You can get a set of feeler gauges from snapon that has .001" thru .015"part # FB-310B, see www.snapon.com.
            They also had a metric set that was perfect, .03mm thru .09mm but thats not listed on their website, you might find one on a truck if you can find one, the part # for the metric set is FBM-321.
            Mcmaster-carr is an industrial supply house, www.mcmaster.com, that has a large selection of feeler gauges, and everything else for that matter, every type of metric fastener imaginable. They have a good website and great customer service even if you're only spending a few bucks.

bill

Comment

Feeler guage heaven

Wow billp,...mcmaster-carrr was the sopt. got the 0.001" & 0.003" in Stainless 12" strips for way under $10. Gotta go spend more bucks there,...LOL
              Thanks for the tip.
              DH

Comment

The two industrial suppliers that I use 90% of the time are McMaster-Carr and MSC. Between those two you shouldn't be able to think of too much that isn't available.

Comment

Working...
                X