head compatibility? help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head compatibility? help!!

ok, i had to replace my head on my GS6560E - the used one i bought (VERY good condition) apparently (according to the seller post-sale, of course) is from a GS650L - they *look* to be exactly the same - but just wanna make sure - and if it WILL work, will a 650E gasket set work?

yes it will, they share the same engine but the frame and body parts are different

Comment

Like I had mentioned before, the E model is a chain-driven bike, while the L (and GL) is a shaftie. I *think* the upper half of the engine (cylinder block on up) is the same between models, but am not 100% sure.
      The shaftie 650 is a high oil pressure, automotive syle bearinged (heh, new word) engine, while the chain-driver is high volume, low pressure, with a ball bearing crank and roller bearing rods. Not to mention the completely different tranny, the value of a gasket kit for a shaftie might not be worth it, just to get the top gaskets. Although, you might be able to recoup some of the cost by selling the leftovers on eBay.

Comment

i went ahead of put the head on last night and it fit perfectly - just wanted to make sure the studs lined up, etc - the valve cover i have (from the E) fit on the head no problem also... as soon as this gasket situation is ironed out, i should be back on the road (finally!)...

Comment

Working...
        X