re-using head gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-using head gaskets?

this gasket search is killing me - emotionally and financially. how likely would i be to sucessfully re-use the head gasket on my 650E? i have heard of people re-using them straight up, as well as "rebuilding" them - using thin guage copper wire to build a new compression area? any thoughts? thanks!

I wouldn't even try to use it, Cometic will make you one, they list the 750-1100 2&4 valve as stock items, but no 650, you could try calling too though

or these guys may have it in stock

Comment

Is your head gasket the old style fibre type, or the newer "multi layer" metal one? I've re-used the multi layer one with success on my warmed over GS1000ST, by carefully cleaning the gasket and gasket surfaces.
      Once everything was spotless, I painted the gasket with engine enamel and let it set overnight.

In the morning when the paint was dry, I torqued the head down, and the heat from the engine caused the paint to soften and provide a good seal. (This was a trick that I've used many times with old single cam Honda 750's, as they were notorious leakers)

But beware. If the gasket or the gasket surface on the head/cylinder block is not completely clean, it will probably still leak. If you're on a budget and you just want to get it done try this method, but if you don't want the option of pulling it all apart again if it doesn't seal, buy a new gasket. :twisted:

Comment

it is the multi-layer metal gasket - im working with one more place now, and if they cant get it for me at a decent price - ill just order the new gaskets i need (valve cover, valver breather, exhaust) and re-use the head gasket - an MG friend of mine also suggested that they used to carefully peel the upper copper layer off and use thin guage copper wire, then rewrap the gasket - giving it a new compression ring to squish - not only should it work, but he said it should be an even better eal - raising compression. i think i might just stick with the used gasket cleaned up, though - thanks!

Comment

terry -

what did you use for cleaning the gasket and mating surfaces? just some degreaser and a clean rag?

what about the 4 rubbery discs in the corners of the head gasket?

i have decided to go ahead and resuse this one - cant wait any longer. and i dont have a problem taking the head off again if need be, but i want to get this on the road (if possible) by this weekend.

any help is appreciated.. thanks!

Comment

I am also reusing a head gasket for the time being (budget constraints). I'll pull it apart this winter and replace it. My gasket is VERY clean and seems to be in good shape. Will I have problems with this anyway?

Comment

Personally, I would never reuse a head gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                Personally, I would never reuse a head gasket.
                As usual Swanny, I couldn't agree more, however, there are times when we either can no longer get the required part, or we simply can't afford one.

I've bought a new head gasket for my other GS1000, was enormously expensive, over $100.00 (Australian) for the genuine item, but I'm waiting for a good set of used 1100 pistons (I've got new rings that I bought on evil-bay) so I don't have to take the head off again. (anyone got a good set of GS1100G pistons, cheap?)

To prepare the head and cylinder block, I used a 7 inch electric sander with a 3M "Strip disc", this is a paint stripping coated fibre disc, not unlike a "brillo pad" that will remove all the old toasted on crud and bring the mating surfaces back to "as new", but won't remove metal. (that wouldn't be good)

I then sit the gasket on a sheet of clean glass, clean the gasket with degreaser, and fine "wet and dry" paper, using the degreaser as a lubricant, then once happy that it is perfect, degrease it again, wash it in thinner, let it air dry then paint it and hang it overnight. I use plenty of paint, but of course runs are a "no-no", as the surface has to be even, although it will crush a little.

As I said before, I agree with what Swanny said (he's a very knowledgeable bloke) but if you can't afford/can't get parts that you need, sometimes you can get away with improvising, if your preparation is good. :twisted:

Comment

Reusing the gasket is probably not ideal, as they do crush to achieve a proper seal (at least standard ones do). I have used Copper Coat sealer (a spray can) on some car head gaskets to get them to seal properly. It is probably more for copper and metal gaskets, but works well on lots of other gaskets.

Comment

I was leaking oil out the head gasket, when I pulled it apart the small part with 2 holes in it (in each corner) was stacked up on the other gasket, causing the leaking. The rest of the gasket looks good. Could I just try this one again, with the small part seated in the gasket correctly?

Comment

I'm running a head gasket that has been off twice before. I'm from the Mickey Mouse School of wrenching- don't do what I do. It isn't leaking yet though!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

check out the Realgasket company in the product review section, they'd be able to make you one if they don't have it already.

Satch

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo
                          check out the Realgasket company in the product review section, they'd be able to make you one if they don't have it already.

Satch
                          They make valve cover gaskets. I don't think they make headgaskets.

Hap

Comment

They make valve cover gaskets. I don't think they make headgaskets.

Hap

Sorry.

Satch

Comment

Working...
                            X