Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pads

What are the differences between the different types of brake pads? Kevlar, Ceramic, Metal Sintered, Non Metallic, etc? Are they all compatible with my 700? Is one type better for front, and another for rear?
    Thanks.

Whew! This can get very involved as to what type of brake pad works best with what type of disc material. Check out www.denniskirk.com and see what's available for your bike if it's still got stock rotors. I'd shy away from anything that was for racing though. I believe they work best only when racing. I replaced my front pads years ago with Ferodo brand pads but I couldn't tell you now what kind of material they are.

Comment

Re: Brake Pads

Not all types of brake pad material are compatible and on some bikes, the front and rear pads require different types of material. I'm particularly fond of Vesrah (which I'm using on both bikes) brake pads and cycle recycle has them for your bike. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
      The Vesrah front pad number for you bike is S322 and the rear pad number is S306

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
      What are the differences between the different types of brake pads? Kevlar, Ceramic, Metal Sintered, Non Metallic, etc? Are they all compatible with my 700? Is one type better for front, and another for rear?
      Thanks.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

There could be many opinions on this, but one fact is essential:

Stay AWAY from racing pads. They are specifically designed to work at their best ONLY when hot. At all other temperatures, their effectiveness is considerably lower, so they are not a good buy, and they may prove dangerous in your use.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X