Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner -- do I have to remove it

I have a GS850GL -- 1981

I have the valve cover off the bike making sure I have the correct shims thicknesses. In my eagerness to get things back together I forgot this step earlier.

I thought I'd go ahead and remove the caps from the cam shafts and relube the shaft -- I remembered to lube it during reassembly, but, since I'm in there I figure it can't hurt. I want to remove the shaft so I can hit all surfaces. (BTW, I retorqued the head bolts per other suggestions)

If I pull the shafts out, am I going to have to remove and reinstall the cam chain tensioner? Or can I leave it in while I move things around?

As always, thank you for the help.

You will have to remove the tensioner if you take the cams out.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

That was my sus picion -- I'm just growing weary of removing the carbs and airbox. Though ... I must admit, I'm getting faster.

Comment

If you use a 1/4 inch drive 10MM (or 8MM) swivel socket you won't have to take the carbs/airbox off. Takes me about 10 minutes this method. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Of course, if you had a manual tensioner, all you would have to do is back it out - not remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
              If you use a 1/4 inch drive 10MM (or 8MM) swivel socket you won't have to take the carbs/airbox off. Takes me about 10 minutes this method. :twisted:

Oh, forgot, an extension (1/4 Drive ) is needed also. :twisted:

Comment

I think you are waisting your time to take it all apart. Take the plugs out and spin the motor over untill it has oil pressure.

Comment

Working...
                X