Oil Burning-Should I go on NE ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Burning-Should I go on NE ride?

I have already pm'd Swanny on this..i'm just looking for other opinions.
    My bike's burning oil (only after it's been heated up 15 minutes or so) and this is what I've found. When I pulled the header off and looked into the number 2 cylinder exhaust hole you can see both exhaust valves. The valve looking at the motor on the right is dry and so is it's half of the exhaust hole. The valve on the left appears wet and it's half of the exhaust hole has wet burned oil soot. All the other valves appear normal. Now, my guess is this is either a valve guide or valve seal and Swanny agrees with me. My question is, could it still be rings? I would thing if it was rings the entire exhaust hole would be covered with oil not just one half. But I'm guessing. What do you think? I'm considering a ride this weekend that will be over 500 miles. Good idea, bad idea? I really want to go. I cannot do a compression test because my compression tester doesn't have an adaptor to fit the spark plug threads for the Suzuki. All responses greatly appreciated.

I agree with you in it not being the rings, unless you're fouling a plug too, your observation of the #2 left valve being wet, but not the right definitely makes me think valve guide seal, you know if you're careful you can change them without pulling the head by stuffing cotton clothes line type rope or equivalent in spark plug hole at TDC(you probably knew that though) I wouldn't worry about a little 500 mi. putt

Comment

If there is no abnormal noises comming from the eng. I would agree valve problem. Just keep an eye on the oil level

Comment

It sounds like the valve stem seal may have popped off the lower seat where it snaps on, you may be able to use a very small flat tip screw driver and push it back down and snap it back in place, it may stay for good or come right back off.
        they will suck a pretty good amout of oil when the seal comes off, but as long as you check the level regularly and top off you should be ok.

Comment

Working...
        X