brake help - now a fuel line ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake help - now a fuel line ?

A big thanks to everyone who responded to my brake questions - front & rear calipers rebuilt, brakes now appear to be functioning.
    I've pulled the tank off the bike, to replace the petcock, check for rust, etc. I was going to change the vacuum hose and the fuel line, found a VH at the local parts store, cannot find an exact fuel hose. The fuel line on the bike measures about 5/16" ID, but a very thin wall hose, this hose runs through a wire coil. Is this special fuel hose? I can find 5/16 " hose, but it will not fit in the wire coil. Any recommendations?

Has anyone used a magnet on the bottom of the fuel tank to attract rust away from the petcock?

Thanks

Mister T
    83 GS750ED

I just use automotive fuel hose that happens to fit the nipples on my tank and carb.

Rust is only weakly magnetic - not nearly as magnetic as steel. I would think that it wouldn't be held strongly enough to keep it out of the lines. Anyone have practical experience with this?

Jeff

Comment

I Highly recommend Clear polyurethane fuel line.
      I've had petcock and tank crud problems and it's
      wonderful to be able it look down and actually see
      if there's is gas in the fuel line. It saves alot of time if
      you are ever having a problem.

Peace
      Mo

Comment

Guy's, thanks for the info. The tank does have some rust, I read a tip here, about "Must for Rust", Home Depot, that stuff is amazing, I haven't tried it on the tank, but on rusted screws, bolts, tools, it is amazing.
        If I derust the tank, is it necessary to coat the tank? some posts indicated that the coating can seperate from the tank and cause more problems than the rust.

Mister T

"leave the gun, take the cannolies" Peter Clemenza / The Godfather

Comment

I agree - clear is best. Just be sure to get line that is compatible with gasoline (like polyurethane). Vinyl is no good as it hardens quickly and cracks. However, clear fuel line can be harder to find than the automotive type.

Kreem is notorious for peeling away. Consider using POR-15. Lots of us here have used it with outstanding results. POR-15 is also sold as a kit for MC tanks and includes degreaser, rust remover and POR-15. If you're going to the trouble of removing the rust you may as well coat it while you're at it.

Jeff

Comment

If you just need a quick fix for rust you can use white vinegar. Mix 50/50 with water and let set for 24hrs rinse out well and use a hair dryer to dry the tank out. Then just keep it full of gas as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
            X