Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW GS650 owner has QUESTIONS

Hi, Experts of the GS Flying Carpets,

I have had my 1982 GS650L for a week now, and I love it; but, I have a problem, and a question:

PROBLEM: I think this bike must have been a HARLEY HARDTAIL in a former life; when I ride on it (195 lbs) if I hit the slightest bump in the road, the bike back end bottoms out... When I stop, and try to put it on the center stand, the rear wheel suspension 'breaks free' (extends with a clunk) as if the shocks were binding up or something, holding the bike suspension compressed, thus lower to the ground.... there is a "little" spring action that i feel, but if I put my 70 lb. daughter on the back, even she complains at how rough the ride is, and she LOVES riding on the back of my bikes...

My little Yamaha XS360 does NOT have this problem.

There are shocks and springs, of course, but I am seriously doubting if the shocks are doing ANY SUPPORTING of weight... Are they supposed to? Are they gas-filled to support weight or anything? Or, do they just dampen spring action? Do I need new shocks, or springs, or both? I am quite sure that even though the bike only has 6000 miles, they are 21 years old, and probably are bad...

There is NO WAY my wife will ride this bike if it rides like a covered wagon.

And, of course, there is no manual to be had, so nothing to read to try and figure this out on my own...

Thoughts?

now a QUESTION: Up til now, the bike has run flawlessly... Starts with choke, shut off choke after about 2 mins, runs great... But, it is now Fall... Last couple of nights, have been noticing bike stammering and running like it's needing something.... on highway last night, temp around 65 or so, bike really started bucking... applied about 1/2 to 3/4 choke, and bike took off like a SHOT and was solid as a rock! Open the choke, and back to nervous twitching and less power...

I just got it back from a major/complete carb rebuild and tuneup... Now, I know that GS's are known to be cold blooded, but, is this normal? Is there an adjustment I should either have the mechanic do, or that I should do myself? Or, is this something I should just chalk up to GS-idiosyncracy and not worry about it?

I do not seem to notice this problem when it is VERY HOT OUT (85 degrees or so ambient temp), or doing stop-n-go driving when the engine seems warmer... just flat out highway driving...

You guys seem to know a LOT, so I look to you for advice... Do you have any for me?

Thanks.

Wayne - sounds like your going to need new shocks ... and probably also need to remove the swingarm and lube/or replace the bearings. You can pick up shocks on Ebay or you can go first class and order aftermarket replacements from Progressive (there are others ...).

Have you done any work to the carbs?? 8)

Comment

I'm not an 'expert' by any means, however your rear suspension sounds shot, maybe bent, the shocks just damp, no lift, that's the springs' job, I'd replace them both, shocks and springs.Check and lube swingarm bearings too. As for the running problem, definitely sounds to be too lean, check for air leaks around manifolds(loose, cracked etc.) and airbox (filter in,lid on?)

Comment

I have been looking at the PROGRESSIVE website... but, I am still wondering if anyone has any SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE on what I should buy... I know they have some stuff that is designed to 'go with' our GS bikes... older Model 14s I think... I would want HEAVY DUTY I guess...

Anyone have any specific info for me on experience, where to get best prices, models to consider?

On the carb thing, bike JUST GOT DONE with a complete going over by a professional mechanic at my local Suzuki shop... I tried to call my mechanic to ask him what is up, and he is on vacation for the next week!

Anyone know if minor carb mixture adjustments are something a new guy who knows nothing about carbs should tackle? Or should I leave it to the professional when he gets back?

They did just put in a new air box filter setup, but this guy seemed really knowledgable... maybe something came loose...

Anyway, I am really getting the impression that this is not right.

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
          I'm not an 'expert' by any means, however your rear suspension sounds shot, maybe bent, the shocks just damp, no lift, that's the springs' job, I'd replace them both, shocks and springs.Check and lube swingarm bearings too. As for the running problem, definitely sounds to be too lean, check for air leaks around manifolds(loose, cracked etc.) and airbox (filter in,lid on?)
          I'm just curious if you have a round eye or clevis mount on the bottom of your rear shocks. I have a pair of progressive shocks that have never been used with a round bolt hole on the bottom that I had ordered for my 81 GS750L. I needed the clevis style and so had to order and other set of shocks.

Mike

Comment

the shock stiffness is adjustable. there is 4 settings I believe. There are notches in the bottom part of the shock that you can rotate and adjust the spring tention. It's explained better in the owner's manual and probably in the repair manual too.

Comment

Working...
            X