problems with 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with 2nd gear

I'm looking at a 1981 GS650L. It needs a carb rebuild (runs rough). The main problem is that it comes out of 2nd gear while under acceleration. This is the original owner and he says that it has done this since it had 4000 miles on it. He has always just skipped 2nd a went straight to 3rd. You can downshift to 2nd with no problem. No problems with any of the other gears.

He wants $750 cash, and has fairings saddlebags, trunk, radio/speaker mount and the bike is in great looking shape.

What do you guys think is the problem and fix?
    Thanks,
    Billy Miles

I have a 82 gs 650 gl. I have the same problem with it...comes out of 2nd when accelerating hard. I dont know how to fix it. It doesnt do it all the time. It doesnt bother me much. You can shift into 3rd and back into seccond like you said, or just dont give too much juice.

this is the only response I got when I posted about the problem....

response from cbxchris

Probably a bent shift fork or your dogs on the tranny gears are badly rounded...either way it takes a removal of the tranny to repair. Usually you can take the engine out of frame and remove the bottom case to get to everything...its not as bad as it sounds.

Comment

It probably has a bent shift fork, and IMO $750 is a bit rich for a bike with a bent shift fork. Maybe $500, but I'd be hesitant with that too.

Comment

I personally would pass on it OR offer him maybe $200- $300 if the bike looks good. 90 % of the time motorcycle transmission problems are related to 2th gear. You Don't think it would matter but 2th Gear is very important. Being that the exact problem is unknown. I would figure that the cases will have to be split and base your price on that. and the need to find a used transmission on ebay

Comment

Working...
        X