bullet wire connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bullet wire connectors

hi i am rebuilding my 78 gs 1000 . i am installing a low milage engine and in doing so i had all my electrical wires disconnected. on the donor eng the wires were cut off on several of the wires. :? my question is where can i find the bullet connectors , both male and female . not the cheap ones at the auto store but good quality like oem . any sources out there? i am a aircraft mech and have access to good [aircraft] terminals and crimp tools but aircraft dont use the bullet type connectors

Re: bullet wire connectors

Youre far better off to solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing to seal them. Radio shack can get connectors if you insist though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by randy nelson
    hi i am rebuilding my 78 gs 1000 . i am installing a low milage engine and in doing so i had all my electrical wires disconnected. on the donor eng the wires were cut off on several of the wires. :? my question is where can i find the bullet connectors , both male and female . not the cheap ones at the auto store but good quality like oem . any sources out there? i am a aircraft mech and have access to good [aircraft] terminals and crimp tools but aircraft dont use the bullet type connectors
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

really? i would think you would like to be able to disconnect the wiring harness to replace components , trouble shoot ect. i know that making a solid connection is best but so would aircraft cannon plugs .its just not necessary. isnt taking care of the connections common maint? i have had no problems with my current connectors. i have filled them with dilectric grease and have had no problems with corrosin.

Comment

My practice is to plug everything together on installation. Once I am certain everything is as it should be, I remove plugs and solder connections. I cant remember that last time I had an electrical problem due to corrosion, blown fuses or burned wires. I dont find it a problem to unsolder wires, but I guess some would feel it was a bother. Dilectric grease is fine if that is your preference.

Earl

Originally posted by randy nelson
        really? i would think you would like to be able to disconnect the wiring harness to replace components , trouble shoot ect. i know that making a solid connection is best but so would aircraft cannon plugs .its just not necessary. isnt taking care of the connections common maint? i have had no problems with my current connectors. i have filled them with dilectric grease and have had no problems with corrosin.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Careful with the dielectric grease! It's fine OVER a metal to metal contact, but not in-between, in low voltage (non-ignition) applications it will inhibit current flow!

Comment

http://www.alliedelec.com/ thay may have the connectors your looking for.

any good industral supply store should have the good connectors. take one from the bike to them thay should be able to match them up.

a nother sorce. find the person that does the parts ordering at work and see if thay will let you look thru there books and order them thru work. I use work a lot for getting odd parts.

Comment

Connectors

Hold the bus! Sorry I didn't get to you sooner on this topic but my registration got wiped out by Frank's killer website cleaner. Anyhow, if you have good quality connectors (like AMP), feel free to replace those twenty plus year old connectors. They were never intended to last that long. Soldering the wires is not a good idead since we all have to disassemble these old bikes on a regular basis. You will be cutting the wire shorter and shorter or you will have taped connections in a hot location, not a good practice. Dielectric grease does not inhibit current flow, nondielectric grease does.

OK, be careful not to match a copper, or copper clad, connector to an aluminum connector. These mixed marriages will not last long. If you have aviation quality connectors and you are sure no one will see you take them from work, replaced both sides of the connection. Don't save that old connector.

Comment

Working...
              X