Stripped Shock Mount Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Shock Mount Threads

I have a problem....the nut that holds the shock upper mount ( and also holds the 'GK's baggage bars on) is stripped. I tried to tap the threads, but to no avail, it is just too worn down to hold a thread. Is there a way to 'turn down' the stud end so I can go tap to the next smaller size? or am I just &*%^ outta luck? :twisted:

do a search there was someone awhile back who used a special bolt to replace the shock stud

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      do a search there was someone awhile back who used a special bolt to replace the shock stud
      I did: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=10647

Comment

Hello.

Did someone say they need shock studs? You will have to drill 15/32 holes to get the bolts I have in, but you will end up with new 12mm studs, and 10mm threads just like before.

The threads are not 1.25 like original, but you can order chrome plated 10mm X 1.50 cap nuts from mcmastercarr.com

I'll send you two, but you can replace one for now and save the other for later.

Send me a P M if this looks like the way you want to go. I have three pairs left, and want to make sure fellow GS'rs get them.

You should be pleased with the results. Me and one other guy have used them, and they worked great. To me they seem to be machined better than the original shock studs, and less prone to strip in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X