Tach cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach cable question

Ok, so I read all the previous posts on tach cables, but I didn't find my answer. My tach jumps around a bit so I decided I was going to replace my cable. I ordered one from BikeBandit.com. Got the part and it doesn't seem right. One end has the appropriate female connection for the back of the tach, but the side that goes into the engine is a male threaded piece. Now, on my bike, I have the slotted collar/10 mil bolt holding it in. I don't see any way to thread this new tach cable in. So, I checked bikebandit part numbers again, and it appears as though I got the correct part. Has anyone else bought a tach cable from bikebandit? Am I just missing something here? Please help! :?

fyi, the bikebandit part number I used was 34940-47030 (t)
    bike is listed in my sig...

The cable should screw into the adapter that is held in with the 10mm bolt

Comment

define jumping around......

my tach will surge between 5 & 7 thsd rpms whilst i'm crusing at a constant speed with no change in acceleration.....i just thought it was an "old" bike thing

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
        define jumping around......

my tach will surge between 5 & 7 thsd rpms whilst i'm crusing at a constant speed with no change in acceleration.....i just thought it was an "old" bike thing
        it bounces a bit, like a bad speedo cable. plus, i just figured since i was replacing the other cables, i'd do this one too. i may have a problem within the tach itself. i am going to do a thorough cleaning this weekend, being very careful to not booger it up.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          The cable should screw into the adapter that is held in with the 10mm bolt
          well, i thought that myself, but i didn't see how it would work on first inspection. i am going to take the console back apart this weekend and remove the cable from the engine and see if i can figure it out. thx for the post

Comment

Before worrying about cable replacement, why not check to see if lack of lubrication is thc cause? Or old stuff that has gummed up?

With the entire cable off the bike, check out the inner cable and see if it turns freely. If not, run a cleaning agent like Varsol through it, let it sit a while to dissolve the gum, then pour it out. Do it again to be sure it is clean.

Let it dry and then put in a few drops of light oil to coat the outer cable body and put a dab of grease on your hand and draw the inner cable through it, so that it is completely coated.

Reassemble and see if that cures your problem.

MMMM....forgot....be sure the cable is routed so that there is no bending that would cause a restriction/binding.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks!

I took the entire console apart last night, and I was able to finally get the cable out of the engine. One of the previous owners had broken the collar on the engine side cable screw in. I cut a slot in the top of it and tapped it loose with a screw driver..

I also cleaned the console. I had already gotten the cables, so I just swapped them out. Everything is working GREAT now. Thanks for your posts!

Comment

Working...
              X