headlight out fuse ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight out fuse ok

boyth my headlight and tail light went after i got gas. 1982 gs 850 l. the fuse looks ok. any ideas
    MORE INFO all other lights working. I dropped it this week and broke the front L TURNSIGNAL, BUT IT IS CONNECTED AND WORKING. I did change fuse to no avail. I've spent over $1100 on this $1300 bike and so pretty much disapointed. guess I should buy something newer??????

Try a different fuse first. Even if it looks ok it could be bad. Then check if you have power at the light switch

Comment

Re: headlight out fuse ok

Are you saying that they failed right after fillup? Right there at the gas station? that's odd...I'm not sure about your bike, but some are setup that the headlight is on its own fuse. Is it both hi and lo that are gone, for the tail light does it light for the brake pedal?

Regardless, test your fuses, and your bulbs, check hi and lo beams. After that, you've got to follow the wires looking for bad connections. Switches, like your hi beam switch are a good place to start.

Take your time and you'll find it. Test all connections even if they look good to you - electrical problems are a nuisance to chase done.

Sam

Originally posted by maxikins
      boyth my headlight and tail light went after i got gas. 1982 gs 850 l. the fuse looks ok. any ideas
      MORE INFO all other lights working. I dropped it this week and broke the front L TURNSIGNAL, BUT IT IS CONNECTED AND WORKING. I did change fuse to no avail. I've spent over $1100 on this $1300 bike and so pretty much disapointed. guess I should buy something newer??????

Comment

more info

turned bike off/ filled tank/ started bike no head or tail light. fuses look ok but i will replACE them. should I take the high/low beam switch apart??
        take head light out and insept wiring?? i'll give it a shot :

Comment

The voltage to the tail light comes directly off the ignition switch on a brown wire. Per my wireing diagram, here is nothing else on this wire except a spare connector, for running lights or whatever, which should be located in the headlight housing. Power for the headlight comes through the dimmer swith.

Since neither light comes on, and we assume they were wroking, then suspect the iginition switch. I think, eyes aren't what they used to be, the light circuit is the gray wire off the switch.

Hope that helps you trace it down.

Comment

I don't have a wiring diagram, but on my 85' Honda Nighthawk, when you press the start button it disconnects the headlight circuit and i think the rectifier/regulator to lighten the electrical load when cranking. Wiggle/tap your start button and see if that in-lightens you. You did say it happened after start up!

Comment

Fuses

I had a similar problem the other day, My headlight went out on a ride, I got it home and started looking around and checked the fuses under the seat, They checked good, but after a close look if found that I could twist the metal ends of the fuse and they twisted off, I did not apply much pressure at all they where only 20 years old I guess. I replaced them and the headlight started working. oh ya both higt and low beam did not work.

hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X