RUSTY TANK "inside" ::HELP::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUSTY TANK "inside" ::HELP::

dose any one know how to clean the rust out of a old tank ? I have a tank that is good out side but it is rusty inside ! ..

Thanks,
    John

rusty tank

heh, you actually have about 3 choices, I just recently went through the same situation..if you are not leaking through the bottom of the tank right now then there are several different treatments that you can do. You can either try for a clean tank on ebay or some other place like gsresources to find someone who will sell you a stock tank or you can use the many kreme like kits on the market, that actually make a bladder inside your tank or you can go to the proffessionals that can rebuild it $$$. My tank was actually leaking through pinholes in the bottom so as a temporary fix I sealed the bottom with jb weld on the holes I could see and then koted the bottom with a marine sealer that I painted on. I hope it will hold until I find a replacement.................................good luck.....................

Comment

There is a thread here about using vinegar to clean it out, it's a mild acid. Just do a search, and lots of these things have been discussed. Good luck!

Comment

WOW WOW WOW can you say conrete etcher ? lol .. well I got it soaking inside ... no it was all surface rust nothing serouis .. but i think it will get the rust off .. i'll updaate every on how it turns out !

Comment

Be careful using hydrochloric acid (which is what masonry cleaner is; AKA muriatic acid). You run the risk of eating away too much metal. You'd be better off using phosphoric acid for removing rust since it is milder and inhibits the reformation of rust. I remember that body shop suppliers used to sell metal conditioner that was essentially a phosphoric acid solution. I'd imagine that this would be ideal for cleaning rust from tanks.

Jeff

Comment

I wonder if that "CLR"(calsium,lime,rust)spray stuff would work?

Comment

The cemente etcher worked .. ! mixed it with water to deloute it a bit .. let it sit for little over 3 hours and drained it out then sprayed wd40 in there then rinsed it out couple times and ran some gas through here ...

Comment

you can always take it to a radiator shop, they should be able to do it cheap with the stuff they have to clean and patch radators.

ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                X