Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil and WATER ?????

HI:

I?m proudly of my "baby" katana 650, but i think that i have a serious problem.
    I can?t see the oil level , because the oil window has something like ice cream. :?
    I must to clean the filler cap very often because usually this substance (oil + water = a kind clear grease ), is there.
    This problem is only in winter.
    I changed the oil several times (brands to), but the problem dont disapeared.

PLEASE !!!!

ANYBODY HAD HAD THIS PROBLEM?
    WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT IT IN THE FUTURE??
    HOW I CAN CLEAN THE ENGINE TO REMOVE THIS SUBSTANCE???

THANKS

Eliseo.

Re: Oil and WATER ?????

Water combined with oil and "whipped" in the crankcase will produce the
    "ice cream" effect you describe. However, I can think of NO way water can enter the crankcase directly. When you changed your oil, I hope you changed the oil filter also, because the water would still be there if you did not do that. If there is a "ice cream" film over your oil sight window that does not come off, you will need to remove the right engine case and clean the inside of the window by hand. The only way I can think of for water to get into the crankcase oil is from the gas tank. You say this problem only occurs in winter. I am guessing that condensation is producing water in the gas, and you have a leaking petcock. The water would be draining into the carb float bowls and past the float needles and into the crankcase. If this is correct, there probably is gas mixed into your crankcase oil also. I would change the oil, oil filter and rebuild the fuel petcock. If winter, I try to keep the gas tank full all the time.

Earl

Originally posted by Eliseo Monteverde
    HI:

I can?t see the oil level , because the oil window has something like ice cream. :?
    I must to clean the filler cap very often because usually this substance (oil + water = a kind clear grease ), is there.

PLEASE !!!!

THANKS

Eliseo.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Also, if you have an oil cooler, you may want to cover it during cold weather.

Comment

Simple (ha!) case of condensation in the oil, and the oil not getting hot enough to boil it off.
        The GS doesn't have a thermostatically controlled oil cooling system. When it's cold, it's cold.
        I bet you take it mostly on short trips, maybe a few miles to work?
        You might have a leaking O-ring on the oil filler cap. That's one place condensation could be getting in. As the oil cools, it's pulling condensation out of the air. Your breather could be malfuntioning as well. I bet it's short trips though. The engine is not getting hot enough.

Comment

Short trips will cause condensation to form in the cases which dosen't get a chance to burn off. I've had this happen over the winter also. Take that baby out and wring her out for 50 miles or so and burn out that moisture. Change the oil often also. It should go away after awhile as long as it isn't a problem described in the previous posts.

Comment

Re: Oil and WATER ?????

Originally posted by earlfor
            Water combined with oil and "whipped" in the crankcase will produce the
            "ice cream" effect you describe. However, I can think of NO way water can enter the crankcase directly. When you changed your oil, I hope you changed the oil filter also, because the water would still be there if you did not do that. If there is a "ice cream" film over your oil sight window that does not come off, you will need to remove the right engine case and clean the inside of the window by hand. The only way I can think of for water to get into the crankcase oil is from the gas tank. You say this problem only occurs in winter. I am guessing that condensation is producing water in the gas, and you have a leaking petcock. The water would be draining into the carb float bowls and past the float needles and into the crankcase. If this is correct, there probably is gas mixed into your crankcase oil also. I would change the oil, oil filter and rebuild the fuel petcock. If winter, I try to keep the gas tank full all the time.

Earl

Earflor:

I always change the oil filter when i change the oil , and try to clean every traces of old oil.
            I usually ride with the gas at the top all along.
            The oil doesn?t smell of gas and has a normal viscosity, so I guess that it doesn?t have a leaking petcock.
            But how can I check the petcock? , in case it exits?

HI:

PLEASE !!!!

THANKS

Eliseo.

Comment

Oil an water ???

Originally posted by Jeckler
              Simple (ha!) case of condensation in the oil, and the oil not getting hot enough to boil it off.
              The GS doesn't have a thermostatically controlled oil cooling system. When it's cold, it's cold.
              I bet you take it mostly on short trips, maybe a few miles to work?
              You might have a leaking O-ring on the oil filler cap. That's one place condensation could be getting in. As the oil cools, it's pulling condensation out of the air. Your breather could be malfuntioning as well. I bet it's short trips though. The engine is not getting hot enough.
              Jeckler:

You are right. I use it mostly on short trips, a few miles to work ( only 8 or 9 miles per day)
              After having read your post I changed the O-ring on the oil filler cap.
              When I take out the breather?s hose from the air filter box I can see vapour that smells of oil getting out.
              How can I do to check the breather sistem?
              The owners manual says that the normal spark plugs are D8EA, and I put D7EA to increase the temperature. Is it O.K?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
                Also, if you have an oil cooler, you may want to cover it during cold weather.
                Gary:

I will cover the oil cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
                  Short trips will cause condensation to form in the cases which dosen't get a chance to burn off. I've had this happen over the winter also. Take that baby out and wring her out for 50 miles or so and burn out that moisture. Change the oil often also. It should go away after awhile as long as it isn't a problem described in the previous posts.
                  Jeff Tate

Next weekend I will take my baby out and wring her out for some miles.!!!!!!!!!

Thank you everybody for your advices......

Comment

Re: Oil an water ???

You are right. I use it mostly on short trips, a few miles to work ( only 8 or 9 miles per day)
                    After having read your post I changed the O-ring on the oil filler cap.
                    When I take out the breather?s hose from the air filter box I can see vapour that smells of oil getting out.
                    How can I do to check the breather sistem?
                    The owners manual says that the normal spark plugs are D8EA, and I put D7EA to increase the temperature. Is it O.K?
                    There's no real way I know of to test the breather. Just make sure that the hose is properly connected to the airbox, it's in one piece and it free of debris.
                    Changing to the D7 plugs does nothing to affect the temperature of the engine. It changes the rate that the sparkplug is able to dissipate heat from the electrode to the head.

Comment

Working...
                    X