isnt getting enough gas at 4500rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isnt getting enough gas at 4500rpm

hi, i just bought a 80' GS550L. it was wrecked. i have rrpaired or replaced everything, and it runs great now exept for...

when cruizing at 4500rpm or higher, for and extended peioriod of time, 3-5 mi. the bike suddenly looses power like it is running out of gas. is stop for a while or open the choke up slightly and run at a lower speed it eventualy runs fine again.

i am guessing that the problem is somewere between the tank and the carb. bowls. but i am unfamiliar with these bikes and do not know what all is down there.

i know that someone has probably already answere this question before, but i has unable to find it.

so if you know the answer or can point me to a thread that reveales the answer, please let me know.

thanks a ton

vandemon

Re: isnt getting enough gas at 4500rpm

Youre running out of gas all right. :-)
    First check is to loosen the gas cap and take it for a ride, if it doesnt run out of gas, then the vent in the gas cap is plugged.

If you have an inline fuel filter between the petcock and carbs, remove it and clean it out or replace it, or install a fuel line without the filter to see if it makes any difference.

Next, check the vacuum line between the petcock and carb for cracks, loose connections, etc. (its the smaller diameter of the two lines) You could be losing vacuum.

If still no luck, try switching the petcock to PRIME. Prime is not vacuum activated and is gravity feed, so if the problem is lack of vacuum to operate the petcock, the engine will run normally with the petcock set to prime. There is no off function to prime, so you MUST return the petcock to the run setting when you shut the engine down.

If fuel will not continue to flow on prime either, then its likely there is silt/sludge buildup in the tank that is blocking the filter screen on the petcock. You will need to remove the tank from the bike and then the petcock from the tank to clean that screen.

I'm assuming you actually do have gas in the tank to start with. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by iamvandemon
    hi, i just bought a 80' GS550L. it was wrecked. i have rrpaired or replaced everything, and it runs great now exept for...

when cruizing at 4500rpm or higher, for and extended peioriod of time, 3-5 mi. the bike suddenly looses power like it is running out of gas. is stop for a while or open the choke up slightly and run at a lower speed it eventualy runs fine again.

i am guessing that the problem is somewere between the tank and the carb. bowls. but i am unfamiliar with these bikes and do not know what all is down there.

i know that someone has probably already answere this question before, but i has unable to find it.

so if you know the answer or can point me to a thread that reveales the answer, please let me know.

thanks a ton

vandemon
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ditto

Comment

Earl

thanks for taking the time to writing up that shecklist for me. i will run through it the first chance i get.

much thanks
        Van

ps. Lynn, thanks for your stamp of aproval ;-)

Comment

You're welcome. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by iamvandemon
          Earl

thanks for taking the time to writing up that shecklist for me. i will run through it the first chance i get.

much thanks
          Van

ps. Lynn, thanks for your stamp of aproval ;-)
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X