Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing lights up/comes on on GS550

Hi all,
    I'm new to his andjust picked up a used 1981 GS550 to fix up. I have put in a brand new battery but nothing lights up when I turn the key. I checked the voltage and it is at 12.7. I checked the fuses and they all look good. I'm about to take my multimeter and follow the wiring diagram but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what might be wrong. This bike hasn't been started in 6 months according to the previous owner. It seems that i'm just not getting any electrical power to the system. I'd appreciate any input any can give. Thanks!

-skm

pull the clutch in and make sure the the kill switch is in the on postion. the clutch has a kill switch to and need to be pulled in to turn it off.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

check your ignition relay too

Comment

If the bike has been tinked with by previous owners, they may have pulled some connectors and left them disconnected. Check all the wiring harness connectors. Some under the tank, some behind the headlight. Next check the ignition switch. Do this by checking for voltage at the fuse pannel. Most of the fuses will be dead until the ignition switch is turned on.

Study the wiring diagram, and start at the beginning (the battery).

Comment

Working...
        X