Ticking or clacking noise from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking or clacking noise from engine

I just got a used 85 700e and it was working just fine when I started my journey home. However, while I was riding it I wanted to have some fun, so coming onto the highway I left it in 2nd gear and went to redline, shifted to third, and did the same thing, but when I tried to go to fourth I screwed up and tached out way past redline. So, I let off the throttle and continued on my way. Later I noticed a serious lack of power and when I finished the trip I noticed the noise.

The point to this is, I realize I've messed the engine up pretty bad so it's not going to be turned on again until I look at the problem. I don't know what I'm doing but I'd imagine I need to take the intake and head off... The other problem I have is finding a repair manual for this bike. Is one available anywhere? If not what tools would I need and where do I start?

So, thanks for the help,

Chris

sounds like you may need to adjust the cam chain. also look at the drive chain when it streaches it makes a slaping sound.

you can get a book at amost any bike dealer. thay should sell haynes or climer (sp).

Comment

With the loss of power I would check cam timing and cam chain tension. then run a compression test to see if you bent a valve, which is possible

Comment

I found the problem. One of the pairs of exhaust valves got dissasembled. As in the spring retaining nuts backed off and were just lying around under the valve cover. I've done pretty good so far to take it apart, but I got stuck seperating the rubber boots that connect the head to the carbs.

Comment

Working...
        X