tranny is noisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny is noisy

I notice a rattling sound from the tranny in neutral at idle, this goes away when I apply throttle.
    I noticed with the clutch disengaged, engine at idle, on the center stand the rear tire rotates when in 1st thru 5th gear? Is this normal?
    When in gear with the clutch engaged, engine at idle, I notice the rattle noise and the chain skips in sync with the noise, is this normal?
    I have not driven this bike on the road, (no license) so I have no idea what it will do, etc.
    Has anyone experienced this or a similar noise?

Thanks

Mister T
    83' GS750ED

Re: tranny is noisy

I would think the chain is worn as is the clutch

Thanks to all in gsresources

Comment

Sounds as thought the chain is trying to climb on the worn sprocket causing the noise your hearing.. :twisted:

Comment

yah i have somewhat the same problem except at idle i get a rattling sound comming from my clutch, except when im pull in my clutch the rattle goes away, i've read from the old q&a that a loose lug nut on the clutch basket us usually the problem and solves the rattling nosie, however my lugnut isnt loose and ia have no idea what the ratling noise is. any ideas?

Comment

I had a similar noise, and replaced the chain and now it sound very smooth. If you don't catch a worn chain early, as soon as it starts to make that noise, it can wear the sprokets down and require you to replace those as well. Good luck.

Comment

Chains and sprockets should be changed together!! They wear into each other. The clutch basket rivets may be working themselves loose, as a possible source of the rattling

Comment

I haven't had a chain in a long time, I got shafted. But you may or may not have a bad chain. Operating the bike on the centerstand will create alot of strange noises because there is no load on the drive train. And yes it is normal for the wheel to rotate when the engine is running

Comment

Working...
              X