High Idle with choke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle with choke.

My bike, 82 GS650G, "seems" a little odd when warming up. If I use the choke, I have to be very carefull with the setting while it's warming up. I have to back it off of full choke to about half way within seconds of it starting, or it takes off to over 2000 rpm.

Then, after I drive it for a minute or so, I have to slightly increase the choke to get it to idle. Another minute, and I can take the choke off, and it idles fine from that point on.

Is that normal, or do my carbs need a little work? It's no big deal, but it's just a little pain in the warm up phase.

Thanks,

Terry

Normal, I prefer to let the bike warm up good before taking off, slowly letting in on the choke till it idles nice and smooth.

Comment

i find with my gs750es that when i first start her up with the choke on fully that she rev's up close to 4000 rpm's but then i just drop it down to half for a sec and then its fine, i dono if that helps you any but it seems like we have simalar problems.

Comment

That is normal

Comment

MY 79 750E. Engine cold, choke full on, hold starter button until she starts,
          (usually about two seconds) as soon as she starts, immediately reduce choke to 1/2. Dont touch throttle and control rpm with choke. After 20 seconds, slowly push choke all the way off while adding a tiny bit of throttle.
          (this takes about 5 seconds) Hold throttle at high idle speed (about 1500 rpm) until engine is warm enough to idle without my touching the throttle.
          (this is usually about 2 minutes)

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Same situation, same 750 here. All seems normal to me :P

Comment

My 850. Full choke, hit the button. When she kicks over push to 1/2 choke and over the period of about a minute slowing push the choke in. to about 1/8th choke. Hold there about 90 seconds and then choke off. about 2 minutes later she's ready to roll.

Comment

Agreed. Entirely normal.

Don't know where you are, but fall/autumn has either arrived or is approaching for most of North America, so you will find the warm-up time varies somewhat as the ambient temperatures cool down.

We had about 55F yesterday, and it took the GK about 3 minutes to warm up enough to turn the choke fully OFF.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of thought it ran to well to have much if anything wrong with it.

BTW, it's still warm(high's mid 80's) here in South Carolina, but it's starting to feel cool. It's been ideal riding weather the last few days. We're a few weeks ahead of schedule with the cool temps, and I'm not complaining.

Terry

Comment

Both my 83 gs750es and 93 gs500 do that, but once I start riding the 500 seems to bog down a little at times and then rev high when it's through with that. Am I not letting it warm up long enough? It seems that I'm having the same problem as Terry, except that instead of settling down after bogging down it takes off on me. As I've stated before I'm new to motorcycles and mechanically challenged so I don't always know what is really aproblem or what to just deal with.
                    Thanks as always,

Comment

Both my 83 gs750es and 93 gs500 do that, but once I start riding the 500 seems to bog down a little at times and then rev high when it's through with that. Am I not letting it warm up long enough? It seems that I'm having the same problem as Terry, except that instead of settling down after bogging down it takes off on me. As I've stated before I'm new to motorcycles and mechanically challenged so I don't always know what is really aproblem or what to just deal with.
                      Thanks as always,

Comment

Working...
                      X