1982 GS850 GL starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850 GL starter problems

I've had a starter problem for a while and I think I've narrowed the search a little but I can't seem to pin point it. SO here are the steps that I've done.
    I jumped the starter selonoid and the starter motor kicked on.
    There is a no circuit to the green and yellow wire going into the starter button circuit but I have circuit to the orange wire in there and the other orange wire while the button is being pushed.
    I've tried to trace the yellow/green wire back to it's source and it seems to go to the starter selonoid, (this is also what the wiring diagram shows).
    But the funny thing is is that I have circuit to where the yellow/Green wire leaves the selonoid and goes to the connector but from that point on I can't find a place to check it or if it breaks away and goes somewhere else(the wiring diagram does not show this)
    Hoping someone skilled in electrical could help me out here. Electrical is not my strong skill.
    Thanks!

Starter Bug

Interesting problem, and hard to determine where the problem may lie from your description. Do you have a VOM meter (Volt Meter)? This will be very helpful.

The starter circuit works this way, power comes to the starter button on an orange and white wire, when the button is pushed it energizes the green and yellow wire. Check that you have voltage to the button when the ignition switch is turned on, then check that voltage is applied to the green and yellow wire when the button is pushed. The green and yellow wire runs to the starter disconnect switch, the switch that assures that the clutch has been disengaged. The starter disconnect switch has two green and yellow wires attached to it. One runs from the starter button and the other runs to the starter relay.

Check your voltage in sequence to each of these switches and you should find where your problem lies. Good luck!

Comment

My 82 gs1100L does not crank if the kill switch is enabled. Is the 850 the same?

Comment

Yes. the kill switch will disable starter by interupting the primary feed to the solenoid (yellw/grn). Bothe the kill switch and the clutch interlock switch have to be functioning properly to engage the starter solenoid.

Comment

Working...
        X