Battery Tenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Tenders

well here in WI the end is in site so any recomendations on brands/prices for a good quality battery tenders that would be appropriate for the winter months

I've been using this maintainer on my bike the past year. I bought one for the GF's bike a year previous. We used to carry them at work, but I'll see if I can find the company's website. I'll post it tomorrow.

They work to maintain the keyoff drains for seasonal use batteries. I just plug it in and forget it. Well, except to UNplug it before pulling the bike out of the garage...

Robben

Note, whether you use this one, or another maintainer by a different company, they work trick for me. I used to get 2 years out of a battery. My current battery is almost 3 years, and still working great.

Comment

I got this one

www.batterytender.com and it is quite excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by 77gs550
        I got this one

www.batterytender.com and it is quite excellent!
        I have the same charger and it works great. The attachable plug comes in handy so you don't have to get to your battery everytime you charge.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Battery Charger

I made one from a UPS that stopped producing AC. They have a marvelous charging circuit in them. Works great.

Kevan

Comment

Never had the need for one in California

Comment

I bought a $15 one from Walmart, and it's worked fine.

The only gooy thing about it was that the cable that you leave conected on the battery had the positive terminal exposed on the free end(not very smart). It came with an extra adapter for using with cigarette lighter socket, so I lopped the adapter off, puts some heat shrink round the end, and used that as a dummy plug, unless I want to charge the battery.

Terry

Comment

so do i need the 6v or 12v model ??

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
                  so do i need the 6v or 12v model ??
                  The last 6V bike I had was a 60's model so probubly a 12V.

I like the battery tender Jr. its under $30 at Dennis Kirk.

I have one of these and an older model that uses a plug instead of the clips. The older on has a pigtail that you install on your bike that comes out in a mate to the plug on the battery tender. So I just plug in the bike and don't remove the battery. I typically ride my bike through the winter so it never sites more than a few weeks through bad weather.

I think JC Whitney has something like this but my old one is a battery tender brand that I have had for at lest 18 years so I like the quality and reliability.

I also have a Schrader 6V and 12V motorcycle battery charger that works very well for charging batteries but I wouldn't trust it to put a float chartge on a battery for a long period of time. Charging a battery and leaving it on the charger for a couple of days is ok but it holds the voltage higher than necessary for a float even though it is supposed to cut off when the battery is charged.

Mike

Comment

Me too, the 12 volt model.

Comment

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell one that is often on sale for about $7. I used it all last winter with no problems. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

Comment

Working...
                      X