Weird Overheat Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Overheat Problem

Hi all, last year I had a strange problem on my '82 GS1100 GLZ. On the way from Wisconsin to Ohio, was stuck in a quagmire of traffic around Chicago/Gary. Bike overheated bad, melted the auto camchain tensioner (plastic) knob. Camchain jumped some teeth, couple of valves slightly dinged the pistons....From what I've found, the Intake valves (from the dealer) are around $29 bucks each and the Exhaust valves are closer to $50. Anybody have a cheaper resource?

Steve
    Union Grove, Wisconsin

Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha OEM motorcycle atv and side by side parts with a full line of aftermarket accessories.

Looks like you'll save about $10 ea. on the intakes, and $18 on the exhaust.

Comment

Hey, thanks alot Jeckler....Have you ever heard of something like this happening before?

Comment

Nope, never heard of it or had it happen (knock on particle board). My tensioner is all metal (I think, never looked that close). You had to have gotten it pretty dang hot for it to melt. It'd probably be a good idea to make sure nothing else was damaged, not only from the chain skip, but from the heat. Were you low on oil?

Comment

No, wasn't low at the time. I never saw a bike get that hot though. I've gotten everything apart, looks ok so far.

Comment

I would hone the cylinders and install new rings. If it was that hot, the rings may have lost there tension and will blow oil if not replaced

Comment

Working...
            X