HELP! - Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! - Ignition Problem

My '81 GS550L has pickup coils and a CDI supplying current to the ignition coils. The CDI is shot and very expensive ($500+ Canadian). Is it at all possible to fit out the bike with a Dyna S (Aftermarket) ignition and eliminate the CDI and Pickup coils?

Re: HELP! - Ignition Problem

Craig

Changing my 750 points ignition to Dyna S is still on my list of things to do, so I cant say for sure, but I suspect that Dyna does
    have a "S" system that will fit your 550. Probably the simplest thing to do would be to email or call them and find out if they do or if you can purchase one made for another model and modify it to work.

Earl

Originally posted by CraigPardy
    My '81 GS550L has pickup coils and a CDI supplying current to the ignition coils. The CDI is shot and very expensive ($500+ Canadian). Is it at all possible to fit out the bike with a Dyna S (Aftermarket) ignition and eliminate the CDI and Pickup coils?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Dyna

If you go to the web site and email them from there they will tell you exactly what product of theirs will fit your bike. I did and they gave me parts number, price with shipping. Everything I needed to make the choice.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to eliminate the transistorized ignition and go to a set of points and condensers. I'll let you know how It turns out.

Thanks

Comment

Well, points and condensers are the ultimate in simplicity and trouble shooting them is a breeze. The downside is they DO
          require periodic cleaning and resetting. Wear causes a timing change and you will find that for optimum performance and running, its best to check gaps, clean if needed and check timing about every 3000 miles or so. The good news is that only takes about 10 to 30 minutes depending on their condition. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by CraigPardy
          Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to eliminate the transistorized ignition and go to a set of points and condensers. I'll let you know how It turns out.

Thanks

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ignition

Craig, you may have solved your ignition malfuntion problem but you opted for a step backwards in technology. I would highly recommend going with the Dyna S system. It's simple, realatively cheap (around $230 for the system, coils, and 8mm silicone plug wires, I think), and will make yourb bike run better at high rpm's. There is no way a points system is going to deliver as reliable and accurate a spark as the Dyna S, and it takes no more time to install than what you did with the points setup.

Comment

Re: Ignition

Well, technically, what you say is true. But in the real world it is the rare rider that can tell a 1/2 degree variance in timing or a half HP difference at highway speeds. Realistically from a performance viewpoint, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a points ignition system.

Earl

Originally posted by OT
              Craig, you may have solved your ignition malfuntion problem but you opted for a step backwards in technology. I would highly recommend going with the Dyna S system. It's simple, realatively cheap (around $230 for the system, coils, and 8mm silicone plug wires, I think), and will make yourb bike run better at high rpm's. There is no way a points system is going to deliver as reliable and accurate a spark as the Dyna S, and it takes no more time to install than what you did with the points setup.

Comment

points are cool, but ahhhh i hate to mess with them......dyna s with accel coils and wires.

Comment

Working...
                X