Doh.....darn butterfingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh.....darn butterfingers

I was putting the head back on my 81 GS750, and dropped a washer down the passage that the cam chain goes. I have tried several time to get it out with a magnet, to no avail. I can't see down there, and would rather not take the head off again. Can i pull the oil pan off and find it? or maybe turn the crank by hand a few times and find it? On the oil filter?any ideas about the easist way to do this would be appreciated.

Also, are the oil filters a clean and replace type, or should I buy a new filter? I still havn't taken it off yet, but I know I need to, I had a TON of gas in my oil.

Oil filters are cheap. I replace it everytime I change the oil. Check out dennis kirk kind of places, those are usually cheaper then a dealer. I buy in bulk, so I only purchase filters once a year and have them on hand incase I need them.

don't know about the washer...sorry :?

Comment

I did something similar once, couldn't get at it from the oil pan, ended up pulling the engine(1100) and shaking it upside down until the piece of crap fell out, keep trying!!!

Comment

I would think turning the crank would be a Bad Thing?. You might try taking the pan off, but you'll probably have better luck removing the engine and turning it over to shake it out.

Comment

Are you trying to go around the chain to get to the bottom of the engine to look for the washer?

I dropped an item down my engine and spent a while trying to find it by looking in front of and behind my chain. Finally I sat down and considered that maybe the chain itself had caught the piece, kind of like a net. It had, and I was able to get it out after just a second or two.

Good luck.

Comment

Don't think you should turn the crank- if the washer is hung up in the cam chain it may bind in the cam chain sprockets. Everytime I have the head off I have nightmares of this exact thing happening! Hope you can get it out ok.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Can I pull the motor with the head still on it? I was using just a touch of gasket sealer, so I tourqed the head bolts down, and don't want to pull it off now......

I was hoping to get access via the oil pan, but I guess you can't see the bottom of the crank/cam chain from there?

Comment

I would take the oil pan off first If you are lucky it will be there. Other wise Try shaking the bike to see if it falls out. or Take the cam tensioner guide out and shake the chain

Comment

Coworker (doesn't know bikes real well) said maybe I should just turn the BIKE upside down, instead of just the moter.

Hmm....hook up the rear tire to a block and tackle and start pulling.....

I have removed the front, plastic guide, but not the rear one yet I have been shaking the chain, and trying in front and in back. Guess I'll pull the oilpan off next.

Comment

UPDATE:

Well, I ripped the oil pan off last night, and sure enough, no way I'm finding tha from there. It was a good thing I did it though. My petcock had leaked lots of gas into the crank (I knew this from draining the oil earlier) and I used some gas as a solvent when cleaning the bike up. The bottom of the oil pan was NASTY with lots of thick, black sludge, that I hope came off of engine parts and such, and means my engine is fairly clean inside. I am soaking it in degreaser, and will clean it all off tonight.

I was unable to fish that damn washer out though, so the head is coming off. I may be able to get in and find it then, but if not, then I have to pull the next part of the engine off. Not sure what that one is called, or how to do it, back to the manual I suppose.

Q&A time:
                    If I have to get that deep in, I'll be pulling the pistons out. How can I tell if my rings are OK?

Where can I get an kit to put oversized pistons in, and what size can I put in an 81 750? Would it be worth it to bore it out if the pistons are in ok shape? The cylinder walls are nice and smooth, very clean. Didn't test compression, but I think it was good.

If I don't want to deal with this, and just wanna sell the motor to someone who wants to rip it down, what size moter will bolt on without many mods? 850, 1000, maybe a Kat engine? (not sure what size Kat's there are)

Thanks for any and all answers. I am beating my head on the wall, as I should have been riding now, but instead, I'm pulling it back apart.

Comment

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by nweaver
                        UPDATE:

If I don't want to deal with this, and just wanna sell the motor to someone who wants to rip it down, what size moter will bolt on without many mods? 850, 1000, maybe a Kat engine? (not sure what size Kat's there are)

80-83 GS1100 (16v) engine will bolt right in with only the bottom center engine mount not lining up which is not totally necessary. Notice my signature.

Comment

Wll, I was somehow able to get the washer out with the magnet. \/

I put the cams back on, timed it, and am just about to bolt the valve cover back on. Then I have to get my oilpan gasket (8 BUCKS FROM THE LOCAL DEALER) and I'll be back on the road.

Anyone had luck with making gaskets for temporary use? I have a roll of cork that is used for gaskets, and was going to cut one for a week's use. I want to change the oil in a week, so I get any remaining sludge out quick, and then I will put the real gasket and a new oil filter in.

Comment

Originally posted by nweaver
                            UPDATE:

Well, I ripped the oil pan off last night, and sure enough,
                            How'd you do it I un did all my bolts and could get the things off

As for the washer, if it's steel the a magnet probe through where the cam chain goes should do it, I know I just fished the cam wheel bolt out of mine!!!

Comment

Oil pan has bolts all the way around it, and then one just forward of the drain plug. I did that, then I had to put a screwdriver in JUST THE COVER part of the hole, and wrench it off. Took quite a bit of effort, the old gasket was very hard and brittle. Felt like hardened rubber. I worked my way round the holes, putting the screwdriver in, and pushing in toward the center to flex it away at the edge. I did this a few times, and then I was able to push in one corner, and get a flathead screwdriver in and work it around. I don't think that has EVER been off my bike, based on the gasket. 8O

Comment

Working...
                              X